Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Smart Mailbox not working...

Smart Mailbox criteria will not work for a specific mail account (gmail account) in Mail app. When I select 'Unread' and the 'Account' criteria for the Smart Mailbox, then click 'Ok', it will not populate unread messages; only shows ALL messages (both read and unread). When I change the criteria to show ALL Unread message for ALL accounts, it still shows messages that were read. Any clue as to why this is happening? FTR, I have quit and relaunched the Mail app (multiple times); booted in Safe Mode and tried that; and deleted the Smart Mailbox over and over to try and fix the issue without success. Also of note, this happed on both Big Sur and latest version of Monterrey. TIA

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 9, 2021 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 6:46 AM

Nothing there. But I believe I solved the issue by deleting that mail account from the Mail app in Mail>Accounts; then adding the account again. After doing so, it allowed me to add the Smart Mailbox and it worked!

2 replies

Nov 9, 2021 7:05 AM in response to jblankity

jblankity wrote:

Smart Mailbox criteria will not work for a specific mail account (gmail account) in Mail app. When I select 'Unread' and the 'Account' criteria for the Smart Mailbox, then click 'Ok', it will not populate unread messages; only shows ALL messages (both read and unread). When I change the criteria to show ALL Unread message for ALL accounts, it still shows messages that were read. Any clue as to why this is happening? FTR, I have quit and relaunched the Mail app (multiple times); booted in Safe Mode and tried that; and deleted the Smart Mailbox over and over to try and fix the issue without success. Also of note, this happed on both Big Sur and latest version of Monterrey. TIA

See if there is anything here—

Use Smart Mailboxes in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Smart Mailbox not working...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.