Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari downloading Unknown files

I clicked on more info in an email that took me to a spoof apple page saying that the computer was infected. At the same time I noticed that the download was processing. It downloaded over 800 files with 2 bytes each it was continuing to add more files to the download folder before I moved the download into the trash.

The files were unknown-1.download, unknown-2.download, etc with the last one being unknown-1024.download Each with a safari download extension. There was one file that was called unknown that was a text edit file.

When I went back to the email and had my cursor hover over the info. I noticed that the website was

I am now scared that I have been infected. Any information on what I should do?

MacBook Mac OS sierra 10.12.6

Thanks,

[Edited by Host]

MacBook

Posted on May 14, 2018 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2018 4:03 PM

Hi Tammy ..

If you haven't done this yet, in Safari go to your Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click Mange Website Data. Give the data, (cookies) to load then click Remove All > Done.

Then quit and relaunch Safari.

While using Safari the Command , (comma) keyboard shortcut should open the Safari Preferences pane for you too.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2018 4:03 PM in response to tammyfrommilton

Hi Tammy ..

If you haven't done this yet, in Safari go to your Safari > Preferences then select the Privacy tab then click Mange Website Data. Give the data, (cookies) to load then click Remove All > Done.

Then quit and relaunch Safari.

While using Safari the Command , (comma) keyboard shortcut should open the Safari Preferences pane for you too.

Aug 11, 2018 5:38 AM in response to tammyfrommilton

The site is malicious , your Mac system files are corrupted erase the hard drive and reinstall the os https://support.apple.com/kb/ph25649?locale=en_US

After that factory default reset of ISP router and air port express ( if used ) , change the passwords for accounts , Apple ID , iCloud , admin account , wireless network password .

make back up before installation .

Aug 23, 2018 4:46 AM in response to tammyfrommilton

I've had this happen to me several times. Its some sort of virus/malware.

Very easy to deal with as follows:

1. Shut down safari

2. Turn wifi off or otherwise disconnect from internet

3. Open safari and close all tabs (no need to close pinned tabs)

4. Delete all files in downloads folder

You can then reconnect to the internet and its as if nothing happened. 😊

Safari downloading Unknown files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.