Related Article: How to reset your AirPort base station

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSStatus error 5

OSStatus error 5

Posted on May 14, 2018 5:55 PM

12 replies

Jul 6, 2018 11:57 AM in response to fubu87

Our response was based on the fact that you said that you "deleted" the backups. For most users, this would mean that they dragged the backups to the Trash and "deleted" them that way.

So, we thought that you might have tried to "delete" the backups this way.....and suggested the "erase" procedure using AirPort Utility.

If you used the "Quick Erase" option....then you would not have been able to run Verify Backups.....as you might have been able to do if the backups were "deleted" using the Trash

If you have also tried the "Zero Out Data" option, and backups cannot run, then you have an operating system issue......not a Time Caspule issue.....since Time Machine is part of the Mac operating system.

Post your issue over in the support forum for the operating system that your Mac is running by using the link just below, and one of the operating system gurus might be able to help you out. Good luck.

Mac OS & System Software

May 14, 2018 6:04 PM in response to janet from racine

Did you have a question?

If you want some help, you are going to need to provide more information. Things like......

• What model of AirPort Extreme that you have
  • What operating system you are running on your computer
  • What you are trying to do if an error occurs
  • What troubleshooting steps you have already performed

Anything else that you can think of that might be helpful to know, since we will only know as much about your issue as you can tell us.

Jun 27, 2018 11:24 AM in response to fubu87

Since macOS Sierra, using Time Machine to backup to a Time Capsule has become increasingly more unreliable. A number of us are recommending that you use a third-party solution for these incremental backups, like Carbon Copy Cloner. Interestingly, this issue does not seem to affect locally attached drives or NAS devices.

Regardless, here are some things you can try:

1. Check your Mac first:

Remove or disable any anti-virus programs that it may be running.

Verify that it does not have any adware or malware present. I would suggest that you consider using Malwarebytes for Mac if you currently aren't already doing so.

Configure your Mac's network configuration to use, as a minimum: IPv6 Link-local only

2. For the Time Capsule (TC):

Use a fixed local IP address for the TC.

Use a 16-character or less base station name for the TC. Also do not include special characters or spaces in the name.

Jun 27, 2018 6:16 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi there,

I am having this issue. I cannot use my time machine back up for a while.

1) I have an airport time capsule (2 TB)

2) Mac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) running High Sierra 10.13.5 (17F77)

3) I don't remember when this problem started. Automatic backup is active. One day it was not working.

4) I tried 2 things. First, I deleted my time machine backup entirely. It didn't work. Second, I opened the terminal and typed 'sudo /usr/libexec/configureLocalKDC' then I enter my password. It didn't work as well.

I can use my airport time capsule to connect internet but I cannot use it to wirelessly back up my computer.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

Jul 1, 2018 1:50 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you so much for your answer. I tried these steps but didn't work.

1) there is no anti-virus program on my computer.

2) I installed that anti-malware program and it found 1 error. hopefully this Malwares for mac app deleted this error.

3) I wasn't using fixed IP so I switched to fixed local IP address.

4) I changed my local base station name and made it 'GenericName'

The problem didn't solve. I have the same error.

Jul 1, 2018 4:54 AM in response to fubu87

On your Mac......

Hold down the option key while you click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the screen

Click on Verify Backups

The process will take anywhere from 10-60 minutes or more depending on how much data is stored on the Time Capsule hard drive. Let the process run until it completes.....or....until you receive an error message.

If you do receive an error message, post back with the exact message that appears on your screen.

Jul 2, 2018 10:35 AM in response to fubu87

The backups may not have deleted completely, although it might appear that way to you.

Did you actually try to run the Verify Backups procedure?

By "deleted backups", does this mean that you have completely erased the Time Capsule drive using AirPort Utility? Or, did you delete the backups by dragging them to the Trash?

If you did erase the Time Capsule hard drive, and you used the "Quick Erase" method, erase the disk again using the "Zero Out Data" option.

There are other recent posts on the forum about the same OS Status Error 5, and in each case, the backups or a remnant of the backups were corrupted, and a complete erasure of the Time Capsule hard drive solved the issue.....at least temporarily.

If you have already erased the Time Capsule hard drive using the Zero Out Data option, then I am out of ideas. Time Machine is a part of the Mac operating system, so at this point your best bet would be to post in the support forum for the operating system that you have installed on your Mac.

In other words, you do not have a Time Capsule issue.....you have an operating system issue. High Sierra in particular has had a number of problems with Time Machine.

OSStatus error 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.