Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud - Specifying which folder to upload

Hi Fellas,

How do I select which folders to sync and unsync to iCloud? I've a folder full of media files for editing (inside my iMac) but don't necessarily need on my MacBook Pro. All this media is eating up my iCloud storage and I'm getting a bit frustrated in trying to resolve it. Hope you guys could help.

Thank you,

Yano

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on May 16, 2018 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2018 8:28 AM

The choices are only the iCloud Drive folder or the iCloud Drive folder plus the Desktop and Documents folders.

If you have Desktop and Documents syncing turned on, the following link has instructions on how to turn it off: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Another option if you want to leave Desktop and Documents syncing on would be to move the folder to somewhere in your Home folder (Finder "Go" menu > Home) outside of Desktop and Documents.

You can access the iCloud Drive folder by using the Finder "Go" menu. You can also add it to the Finder sidebar via Finder Preferences.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2018 8:28 AM in response to brother.yano

The choices are only the iCloud Drive folder or the iCloud Drive folder plus the Desktop and Documents folders.

If you have Desktop and Documents syncing turned on, the following link has instructions on how to turn it off: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Another option if you want to leave Desktop and Documents syncing on would be to move the folder to somewhere in your Home folder (Finder "Go" menu > Home) outside of Desktop and Documents.

You can access the iCloud Drive folder by using the Finder "Go" menu. You can also add it to the Finder sidebar via Finder Preferences.

May 16, 2018 8:43 AM in response to brother.yano

Just one more note to add to Foxfifth's excellent advice - iCloud is not an "offsite" storage facility, but rather a syncing/sharing service. So, when you put things in iCloud, they are being placed there for the purpose of sharing that data among your iOS devices and computers that are signed into that iCloud account. Although the "Optimization" option will dynamically remove older documents and media from your device if it is running out of room, all other iCloud data is shared and stored in both iCloud and on your device or computer:

iCloud Deconstructed | Communities

Best,

GB

iCloud - Specifying which folder to upload

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.