Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Storage

Is it possible to have a folder on my iCloud Drive that's not visible on my Mac. With Dropbox I was able to have folders online that don't have to be visible on my machine, but now every folder I create on my iCloud Drive appears on my MacBook.

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2021 9:38 AM

Hi philolckers,

You can hide a folder or file on your Mac by putting a period (.) at the beginning of the file/folder name. Linux, Unix, and other Unix-based OSes respect this convention as well.

To view hidden files and folders on your Mac, open a Finder window, then press Command-Shift-Period. Press this key combination again to hide hidden folders and files.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2021 9:38 AM in response to philolckers

Hi philolckers,

You can hide a folder or file on your Mac by putting a period (.) at the beginning of the file/folder name. Linux, Unix, and other Unix-based OSes respect this convention as well.

To view hidden files and folders on your Mac, open a Finder window, then press Command-Shift-Period. Press this key combination again to hide hidden folders and files.

Feb 16, 2021 6:37 AM in response to philolckers

Ah, now that we know what you want to accomplish, a better and different solution appears possible:

Add .nosync (don't miss the dot there) to the end of a file or folder name to prevent syncing over iCloud Drive.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8137146

That is much better than hiding something and having to toggle invisibility all the time. However, it is used in that linked context to stop a Mac folder from syncing to iCloud and not the other way around so I don't know if it works in reverse too. Realize that iCloud isn't really intended to be used as a hard drive in the sky, it is syncing storage so you are trying to work against its fundamental design. For what you want to do, Dropbox or a pure cloud storage solution may be better.

Feb 15, 2021 9:11 PM in response to Encryptor5000

Hey there.

Ok, thanks for this. Just want to clarify, this will just hide the folder right? Essentially what I'm trying to do is having a working folder that continuously syncs to the cloud, but then another folder on the cloud that I move completed projects to. That folder must not sync with my Mac, as I would like it to only to use up iCloud storage space not any hard drive space, at all.

Feb 16, 2021 9:30 PM in response to philolckers

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately putting a period at the beginning only hides the file - it still lives on your internal drive.

I'm not sure if its possible to store files in iCloud Drive and not have them sync onto your Mac. The only sure-fire way I can think of is to put only the files you don't want on your Mac into iCloud Drive, then disable iCloud Drive in System Preferences -> Apple ID or iCloud.

iCloud Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.