Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outstanding Citizens One Loan and upgrade through ATT

I purchased my daughter an Iphone 7 during January 2017 through Apple using Citizens One Loan. The installments were for 24 months. I've made every payment on time. In April 2018 recently upgraded to an Iphone 8 by going to the ATT store and trading her Iphone 7 in for the Iphone 8. It was my understanding that the Citizens One Loan would go away since she is now under a new payment plan through ATT. However, after logging into my Citizens One Loan it still is showing a balance and monthly payments through December 2018. Why was the Citizens One Loan not paid in full? Is it because she went through ATT for the upgrade? Please help me understand the relationship, if any, between ATT's Next program and the Citizens One Loan program through Apple.

Posted on May 16, 2018 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2018 10:29 AM

Unfortunately, you have crossed two separate and unique upgrade programs. The iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple, which is the first one you used, uses Citizen One Bank. That is a 24 month program as you indicated, which is correct. If you decide to upgrade your phone through that program at 12 months, the balance is forgiven, if you turn in the phone to Apple. But Citizen One and the Next program are two different programs. Trading to AT&T does not forgive your Citizen One balance.

However, since you traded your phone into AT&T and used their Next program, that financing is done via AT&T, and their payments vary, depending on the time frame you wish to use. They have more than one choice, whereas the iPhone Upgrade Program with Apple is only one.

At this point, since you traded the phone to AT&T, you will have to pay off the balance of your Citizen One loan, since you no longer have possession of the device. If you decide to upgrade in the future, you need to stay with one program or the other, until you have paid off the phone and it is yours.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2018 10:29 AM in response to scsiguru

Unfortunately, you have crossed two separate and unique upgrade programs. The iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple, which is the first one you used, uses Citizen One Bank. That is a 24 month program as you indicated, which is correct. If you decide to upgrade your phone through that program at 12 months, the balance is forgiven, if you turn in the phone to Apple. But Citizen One and the Next program are two different programs. Trading to AT&T does not forgive your Citizen One balance.

However, since you traded your phone into AT&T and used their Next program, that financing is done via AT&T, and their payments vary, depending on the time frame you wish to use. They have more than one choice, whereas the iPhone Upgrade Program with Apple is only one.

At this point, since you traded the phone to AT&T, you will have to pay off the balance of your Citizen One loan, since you no longer have possession of the device. If you decide to upgrade in the future, you need to stay with one program or the other, until you have paid off the phone and it is yours.

May 16, 2018 10:53 AM in response to scsiguru

Not real sure about that. I've always done a replacement. And to be honest, I don't look so close at my credit history to worry. I remember a great deal of discussion when the iPhone Upgrade Program first appeared, and I thought there were some changes because of the complaints with the hard inquiry at first. I thought that Citizen changed it, but it may also have been because I traded off in 12 months and just continued only with a newer phone.

Outstanding Citizens One Loan and upgrade through ATT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.