Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't add accounts in Mail - stuck on "Next"

Hi,

I have recently deleted my IMAP account from Mail (High Sierra), and now I want to add it again.

But when I have filled out all the info (username, password, in- and outgoing serverinfo), it asks which apps I want to use it with. I only have two options: E-mail and Notes. I choose "E-mail" and press "OK". And then nothing happens. I can press "OK" 10 times, at nothing happens. The dialogue box is still there.

Anyone, who has a clue what to do?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on May 16, 2018 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2018 7:59 PM

There's a very simple fix. My problem was the same as the Original Poster: clicking "Next" does nothing.

(Before following these steps, make sure you remember all the passwords for your accounts, because the saved passwords will be deleted.)

This is what worked for me:

1. Open the Keychain Access utility in your Applications folder.

2. In the "Keychain Access" dropdown list, open "Preferences..."

3. Click "Reset My Default Keychains" and follow the prompts.

4. Restart your computer.

You will be prompted to re-enter the passwords for all your e-mail accounts. If you were having trouble adding a new e-mail account, it should work fine now.

As another poster on this thread has mentioned, the problem is a conflict in the keychain, which creates an endless process loop at the "Next" button. The problem gets fixed when you reset the keychain. Using the above steps is safer than going into your keychain library and just deleting a bunch of files.

73 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2018 7:59 PM in response to Macisforsome

There's a very simple fix. My problem was the same as the Original Poster: clicking "Next" does nothing.

(Before following these steps, make sure you remember all the passwords for your accounts, because the saved passwords will be deleted.)

This is what worked for me:

1. Open the Keychain Access utility in your Applications folder.

2. In the "Keychain Access" dropdown list, open "Preferences..."

3. Click "Reset My Default Keychains" and follow the prompts.

4. Restart your computer.

You will be prompted to re-enter the passwords for all your e-mail accounts. If you were having trouble adding a new e-mail account, it should work fine now.

As another poster on this thread has mentioned, the problem is a conflict in the keychain, which creates an endless process loop at the "Next" button. The problem gets fixed when you reset the keychain. Using the above steps is safer than going into your keychain library and just deleting a bunch of files.

Sep 8, 2018 11:04 PM in response to Macisforsome

The same thing is happening to me too. The issue seems to be with the "Internet Accounts" preferences control panel. It just won't work anymore.

User uploaded file

I did have a Gmail, Yahoo, and Outlook account on there. I deleted them and tried to reenter them, only to have them hang on the "Next" button after entering the passwords. This is a very serious issue. MacOS's internal internet functionality is basically broken. The only way to bypass it is to use a 3rd party app that doesn't use this control panel. Postbox and Airmail are perfect examples of email apps that work correctly.

Sep 14, 2018 10:28 PM in response to Macisforsome

Same Problem. Found the problem (In my case). I had the perpetual "next" button when trying to add an exchange account that I had deleted. 7 hours with Apple support, dozens of different things tried (a few are on this board). This is what worked.

1. Go to user accounts and create a brand new user "test admin" - make it an administrator obviously.

2. Re-start, and log into the test admin account

3. Go to "iCloud" under "system preferences", add your iCloud account under which you have been having problems.

4. Re-start the computer, log back into the test account, go back to iCloud, log out, and log back in

5. Go to "Internet Accounts" under system preferences and attempt to add the problem account. If it won't install, stop reading (you have a different problem than I do)

6. If it works, then you may have the issue that I did.

7. Oddly, the problem was within my "Keychain" - there were conflicting account status within Keychain, and the conflict was sending me through the "next" loop.

8. Log into your original account

9. Finder, Go, "option key" (this shows the "Library" folder), Keychains folder in Library

10. Inside the Keychains folder there are at least two files that conflict with one another. We deleted them all.

11. Restart the computer, log into your original account, Log in and out of your iCloud account, go to Internet Accounts and try to add the problem email or exchange account. In my case, Success!

Good Luck.

May 17, 2018 10:21 AM in response to Macisforsome

Hello Macisforsome,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

I understand from your post that you removed your IMAP email account and are trying to add it back, but the OK button in the dialogue box is not responding. I recommend testing the issue while your Mac is in safe mode and/or in a new user account. The following articles have the steps you will need to test the issue in both safe mode and in a new user account:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards.

Jun 8, 2018 5:13 AM in response to avatar5555555

You wrote - Either iCloud and gmail works perfectly. Problem with simple mail account.

You have either deleted the iCloud account or have not yet set it up , from the location system preferences > internet account.

The simple gmail account address is kept same as your apple mail address .

See some articles Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

macOS Sierra: Set up iCloud on your Mac

In case if I cloud account and gmail account is deleted see this method to set it up .

If you delete both web mail account ( say gmail account ) and iCloud mail account from system preferences > internet accounts .

( a ) when you select web mail account and click on minus sign , it will prompt are you sure you want to delete the account ( 1 ) cancel ( 2 ) ok and you click on ok the account will be deleted .

( b ) And if you delete iCloud account ( 1 ) do you want to keep a copy of your iCloud data on this Mac before signing out ?

Cancel , keep a copy , so click on keep a copy .

Do you want to keep a copy of your safari passwords on this Mac ?

( 1) delete from Mac .

( 2 ) cancel

( 3 ) keep on this Mac .

So , click on keep on this Mac .

It will prompt to enter Apple ID password to turn off find my Mac , so enter and click on continue .

Do you want to keep a copy of your iCloud data on this Mac before signing out ?

If you don’t keep a copy , your data will be removed from this Mac but will still be available on other devices using iCloud .

( a ) the box for iCloud Drive is checked ( b ) the box for contacts is checked .

Now , open apple mail application , choose a mail account provider and select google click on continue , enter your web mail address and password and click on next , check the boxes of mail , contacts , calendars , notes and click on done .

The gmail account has been set and mails will start downloading .

Open system preferences and click on iCloud , a pop up window will appear iCloud lets you access your music , photos , contacts , calendars and more on your devices , automatically .

Sign in with your Apple ID and click on next and enter your Apple ID password .

( a ) check the box of use iCloud for your documents and data

( b ) use find my Mac

( 1 ) back ( 2 ) next so click on next .

A pop up window will appear allow find my Mac to use the location of this Mac

( 1 ) not now ( 2 ) allow so click on allow .

You have to enter your Apple ID password to set up iCloud Keychain and click on ok .

A pop up window will appear to set up iCloud Keychain on this Mac , request approval from one of your devices using iCloud Keychain .

( 1 ) use code

( 2 ) cancel

( 3 ) request approval

So , click on use code .

Enter your iCloud security code and enter the iCloud verification code sent to your trusted mobile and click on ok .

After some time , the box for keychain in iCloud will get checked , also check the box of Siri and make sure back to my Mac is always unchecked .

So , both web mail account and iCloud account are configured .

Jun 8, 2018 5:58 AM in response to avatar5555555

See this article macOS Sierra: Internet Accounts System Preferences

If you don’t yet have an account from a particular provider, such as Yahoo!, create one on the provider’s website, then add it here.

The article itself is showing the method for configuration , also the same mail address in your case gmail address can not be used / added for the second time .

So its better to first create a gmail account on their web server see this article Create a Gmail account - Gmail Help

In your screen shots you must consult the internet service provider .

If you want to add an account from a provider that isn’t listed, such as a mail or calendar account for your company or school, click Add Other Account on the right, click the type of account you want to add, then enter the requested account settings. If you don’t know the type of account or the account settings, ask the account provider.

Also you wrote , you signed in system preferences > internet accounts with gmail address before sign in with your Apple ID , try the method what suggested .

Sep 10, 2018 1:34 PM in response to Dudh

Dudh wrote:

is anyone from Apple Support team monitor this forum? if many people are having this issue then I would think that this is escalated and Apple should be looking into this with high priority.

This is a user-to-user technical support forum. Apple monitors it only for the purposes of making sure people adhere to the terms of use. The people who do that are not part of Apple Support.

If you want Apple to know you specifically have a problem, use the Contact Support link at the top right of every page of these forums.

If you want to submit feedback (you will not get a response but everything will be read), use the Feedback page:

Product Feedback - Apple

Mar 9, 2019 5:41 AM in response to Inge-59

I just ran into this when adding a new email account for a new domain and I found a way that worked for me without removing or resetting keychains. I just manually added the account information to my keychain.

1. Open the Keychain Access Utility.
  2. Under "File" click "New Password Item"
  3. Fill in the incoming server information
    1. Keychain Item Name: com.apple.account.IMAP.password
    2. Account Name: emailaddress@incomingserver
    3. Password: email account password.
  4. Repeat step 3 for the Outgoing Server information changing the Keychain Item Name to: com.apple.account.SMTP.password
  5. Add your account through Mac Mail "Mail" -> "Add Account" or -> "Preferences" -> Accounts -> +

Once you go through adding the account information in the various screens and click "Next" a popup will ask you if you want to allow this account to access your keychain. Enter your Administrator password and click "Always Allow"

Apr 18, 2019 11:44 AM in response to dkpro

Possible eMail fix…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8393897?answerId=250408740022#250408740022

Also...

Cant create re add Mail

James Walker1

User level:

Level 1

(129 points)

Notebooks

Speciality level out of ten: 0

Mar 1, 2019 10:39 AM in response to if240

I was having this problem trying to add a mail (not gmail) account just for Notes.  In my ~/Library/Keychains folder, I found a subfolder with a long hexadecimal and hyphens name.  I deleted that subfolder, logged out, and logged back in.  I was then able to add the account, without having lost any passwords from my keychains.

May 20, 2018 10:41 PM in response to Macisforsome

From which location have you deleted mail account is it from system preferences - internet accounts or you have opened mail preferences > accounts > then deleted the account .

Some information is required is it a gmail account and are you also using iCloud mail account ( is iCloud Keychain also set up ) .

A screen shot of internet accounts could help ( please hide your mail address before posting ) .

Can't add accounts in Mail - stuck on "Next"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.