Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

error during iphone backup in itunes

Hi,

Connected my iPhone 5S to itunes on my iMac to do a backup. Keeps coming up with an error: "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because an error occurred".

The research I've done says to shut down iPhone, iTunes and iMac, make sure IOS is most recent and try again. Did all that and nothing has changed.

Any suggestions?

Buff

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on May 17, 2018 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 2:41 AM

OK - the problem has been solved.

I contacted Apple directly. After speaking to two of their people who could not help (although they did try!) I was escalated up to a more senior person. Lachlan (based in Melbourne) was great. At first he was stumped. He went away and called me back 30 minutes later with some extra options to try.

The one that worked was to simply untick the Encrypt Backup option and it worked. Lachlan said that he did not know why that worked as it should not have made any difference and that he would do a report and send it to the software writers and get them to look at it.

Buff

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2018 2:41 AM in response to Buff1969

I contacted Apple directly. After speaking to two of their people who could not help (although they did try!) I was escalated up to a more senior person. Lachlan (based in Melbourne) was great. At first he was stumped. He went away and called me back 30 minutes later with some extra options to try.

The one that worked was to simply untick the Encrypt Backup option and it worked. Lachlan said that he did not know why that worked as it should not have made any difference and that he would do a report and send it to the software writers and get them to look at it.

Buff

May 23, 2018 2:16 AM in response to Buff1969

Not sure about that, Buff.

But when batteries are close to the critical stage of their life, they can act very strangely, to the point that, even when on charge, they can "refuse" to be charged and randomly stop to power the device.

So, I would suggest that you have your battery replaced as soon as possible. When you go (by appointment) to the Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider for the replacement, advise them that you weren't able to perform a backup (they should be able to do it for you).

Unfortunately you told me that in the state you're in there are no Apple Stores, nor Authorized Service providers.

Please, check again using this selector: Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

May 17, 2018 6:15 AM in response to Buff1969

Buff, it's not easy to diagnose this kind of issue, remotely.

Have you tried to change the USB port (and/or lightning cable) on your iMac?

If you've already followed the steps provided in the support guides I posted, I would make a full backup to iCloud, and contact your most convenient Apple Store or iMac Store and ask them if you can make a backup test at their store using your iP5s. They should be able to help you.

Please keep me informed.

Regards

Giulio

Jun 15, 2018 5:28 AM in response to Buff1969

Buff1969 wrote:

...........The one that worked was to simply untick the Encrypt Backup option and it worked. Lachlan said that he did not know why that worked as it should not have made any difference and that he would do a report and send it to the software writers and get them to look at it.

Even I can not give you an explanation about that, but I'm glad you could work it out.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Buff.

Have a nice day.

Giulio

error during iphone backup in itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.