Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Swollen Battery Problem on iPhone 5

My iPhone's screen is now bulging on the left side. I was telling my sister last night about it and she said she had the same issue with her iPhone 5 too.

I'd like to know if Apple has a battery replacement program in place?

There's just too many complaints online regarding this same issue.

My phone's model # is A1428.

Thank you.

iPhone 5, iOS 10, Model A1428.

Posted on May 17, 2018 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2018 5:46 AM

sharonfromvaughan,

See this:

iPhone Battery & Power Repair

Good luck.

6 replies

May 17, 2018 7:51 AM in response to MrBill3

Hi MrBill3,

How about the bulging on the left side of the phone?

It actually broke my screen protector and lift my screen already. The screen does not work properly anymore because of the bulging.

If the battery is replaced, can I still use my phone? At the moment it is turned off, actually using a loaner because I cannot use my iPhone. I'm also scared to use it.

Thanks.

May 17, 2018 7:57 AM in response to sharonfromvaughan

sharonfromvaughan wrote:

Hi MrBill3,

How about the bulging on the left side of the phone?

It actually broke my screen protector and lift my screen already. The screen does not work properly anymore because of the bulging.

If the battery is replaced, can I still use my phone? At the moment it is turned off, actually using a loaner because I cannot use my iPhone. I'm also scared to use it.

Generally, the phone will work fine after the battery is replaced and the phone reassembled. If Apple sees that it is too damaged to work, they'll tell you before doing any repair.

You shouldn't use it in this state as you will only exacerbate the problem.

As they age, lithium ion batteries can swell. There's nothing particularly abnormal about this, especially in a phone as old as an iPhone 5.

Swollen Battery Problem on iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.