You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded memory in iMac, now it won't start

Looking for help with a mid-2011, 21-1/2 inch iMac.

I was in the process of setting this machine up using Time Machine backups, after retiring a late-2009 21-1/2-inch iMac. I shut the 2011 unit down, unseated its two, 2GB memory cards, then installed four 4-GB replacements. All went well until I hooked it back up and it wouldn't start. Nothing happens when I press the power button.

Thinking it was probably the new memory cards, I removed them and put the two 2GB cards back in. Again it would not start.

Thinking it might be the way I installed the cards, I opened up my mid-2009 memory compartment, took the cards out, reinserted them, and plugged it in using the same power cord and outlet the mid-2011 is using. The late-2009 unit started. I am confident the cards are seated correctly.

Also, before I upgraded the memory in the mid-2011 model, the unit was working beautifully. It has seen little use and responded well to OS upgrades (I brought it as far as the latest security update for OS Sierra -- 10.12.6). It restarted well with each install until the memory install.

Any thoughts?

This is the original card from the machine (times 2).

User uploaded file

This is the replacement (times 4). (All the cards are the same size, the bottom pic is just bigger.)

User uploaded file

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), null

Posted on May 18, 2018 10:08 AM

6 replies

May 18, 2018 11:24 AM in response to mariefromlambertville

Macs are very sensitive to memory quality and specifications particularly with the newer systems.

Where did you get the modules? We get post after post regarding 3rd party modules that just would not work in Macs.

The only sources for Mac memory modules that I will use or recommend (and most other users here also) are Crucial.com and MacSales.com. These two sources guarantee that their modules will work (they test their modules in the Mac model they're designated for) and have a very good warranty and customer support system.

I suggest you return those modules to where you purchased them for a refund and order what you need from one of the two sources I mentioned above.

User uploaded file

May 18, 2018 11:36 AM in response to mariefromlambertville

Put the original modules back in their original slots and make sure they are firmly seated. Try to boot into Safe Mode, Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode.

If that fails boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down) and: 1 - run disk utility to check the drive and reboot normally; 2 - if that fails book again into the Recovery volume and reinstall the system.

May 18, 2018 11:30 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for responding, OT. I bought the RAM here: New 8GB 2x4GB Memory RAM For Apple IMac DDR3-1333 MHz | eBay

I wondered about that myself, but it doesn't explain why the machine still won't start up when I remove them and reinstall the original, apple-installed memory cards. My concern now is that even if I do buy different modules from one of the places you mention, the unit still won't start. Could there be another problem?

May 18, 2018 11:52 AM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad, I have done that -- when I reinsert the original modules in the machine, it still doesn't start -- no sound or activity on pressing the power button.

I did this just to test that I was seating the modules correctly:

On a DIFFERENT iMac, I uninstalled, then reinstalled the four memory modules it held (which I previously purchased and installed), and the DIFFERENT iMac started without a problem, using the same cord and outlet as the one that won't start.

I cannot boot in a different mode or run any tests because, even with the original memory modules, the mid-2011 computer will not start.

May 18, 2018 1:07 PM in response to Old Toad

No sound at all, Old Toad. Zip. No spinning, no chime. Nothing visual either. The screen stays dark. Nothing happens.

Like you, I also thought it might be the power source, but then I successfully started a DIFFERENT iMac using the SAME power cord and SAME outlet and ruled that out.

It is an old machine (mid-2011), but it has seen little use (purchased for my mother, but do to the progress of her dementia, she was unable to use it). I would think it should be like new.

Upgraded memory in iMac, now it won't start

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.