Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It is not possible to turn off screen lock

Hello,

I try to turn off screen lock in Security & Privacy Preferences by ticking off Require password immediately after sleep or screen saver begins. I have also tried to change the time elapsed for entering password after sleep or screen saver begins. But nothing happens. It is still ticked and even if I choose for instance 5 minutes, it will not change to the desired value, but revert to "immediately."

I am using MacBook Pro (Model MacBookPro11.5; Manufacture date 2015-06-15), macOS High Sierra (version 10.13.4).

I think that the problem started after I tried to Reset My Default Keychains.

Does someone else have the same issue? Is this a bug? Is there some solution to this problem?

Best regards

Aleksandar

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 19, 2018 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2018 4:02 AM

I think this is more indicative of the System Preferences .plist file being corrupt.

Whilst in Finder click on Go in the menubar, click Go To Folder and enter the following path,

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist click Go.

A new Finder window will open with the file highlighted, move it to the Desktop.

Restart the Mac, a new systempreferences.plist will be generated.

When the Mac starts try changing your preferences in System Preferences> Privacy & Security> General

if the problem is now solved, great, you can delete the original .plist on your Desktop.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2018 4:02 AM in response to Kalkas

I think this is more indicative of the System Preferences .plist file being corrupt.

Whilst in Finder click on Go in the menubar, click Go To Folder and enter the following path,

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist click Go.

A new Finder window will open with the file highlighted, move it to the Desktop.

Restart the Mac, a new systempreferences.plist will be generated.

When the Mac starts try changing your preferences in System Preferences> Privacy & Security> General

if the problem is now solved, great, you can delete the original .plist on your Desktop.

May 20, 2018 10:54 PM in response to Kalkas

Are you able to open the pad lock in system preferences > security and privacy , is it an admin account and you must have the password in records .

For what reason reset my default keychain was applied .

In security and privacy if the box of require password immediately is unchecked a pop up window appears .

User uploaded file

Did you clicked on turn off screen lock ?

You can delete login keychain in keychain access and then again add a new keychain ( some conditions are to be met , you must have all mail address and their passwords , your wireless network password , in case if iCloud key chain is used its verification code in your records .

May 20, 2018 1:43 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion, but it did not solve the issue. The problem still persists.

Do you have the same problem; have you tried to turn off screen lock or change the value of time elapsed?

According to the web article "iScreensaver : macOS 10.13 ScreenSaver changes, issues and bugs" (https://iscreensaver.com/help/notes/high_sierra/high_sierra.shtml) it is a new bug. But if you do not have a problem to turn off screen lock, then some of my system files has to be corrupted.

(To Luis Sequeira1, I have of course clicked on the padlock at the bottom corner to make the changes; that's go without saying.)

Best regards,

Aleksandar

It is not possible to turn off screen lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.