Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3rd generation and Netflix 139:NFErr_MC_AuthFailure

Hi all,

as I saw in many posts this issue seems to have an impact on many Apple TV (3rd generation).

SCENARIO:

• APPLE TV (3rd generation) connected to a wi-fi router with a 4G SIM (very very fast!) updated with last sw version;
  • NETFLIX app installed on APPLE TV

ISSUE:

I'm able to login in my Netflix account in the ATV app but when I try to play an item I always get the error 139:NFErr_MC_AuthFailure

It has been worked well in the last 2 years but now it not work anymore (also before the ATV sw upgrade)

I have called the Netflix support first of all but they said that I have to call Apple. I called Apple and they said that I have to call Vodafone (my 4G operator). I have called Vodafone and they said that I have to call Netflix ... and the wheel can run in a loop.

I have tested ALL workaround I have found in the Apple forum and Vodafone forum but.. no way!

Please, help me!!

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Posted on May 20, 2018 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2018 1:47 PM

Hi, thanks for your answer.

The network is working well, if I connect to the same network my iPhone, my wife's Android phone or my iPad everything work well with the same Netflix account. It doesn't work only with the ATV... really no idea 😟

11 replies

May 21, 2018 2:39 AM in response to gecophotography

The network is working well, if I connect to the same network my iPhone, my wife's Android phone or my iPad everything work well with the same Netflix account. It doesn't work only with the ATV.

Is Netflix the only app on the Apple TV that has trouble fetching content from the internet? Can you play e.g. iTunes movie trailers or YouTube? If it does work for other apps, then the network itself, and how the Apple TV interacts with that shouldn’t be the issue. But “other devices work” ignores the exact location of the Apple TV box and possible interference at that exact spot, so testing other apps is a worthwhile indicator.

It has been worked well in the last 2 years but now it not work anymore (also before the ATV sw upgrade)

The last software update for the Apple TV 3 was from December 2016. The perceived change must be elsewhere.

May 22, 2018 2:31 AM in response to vazandrew

Hi, yes.. I have checked the DNS and it's in auto mode (I also have tried to change the DNS): NOT WORK

Tried both with WI-FI and Ethernet: NOT WORK

Tried with another Vodafone network: NOT WORK

Yesterday I also have tried:

with a XBOX One (my new console juts bought): IT (Netflix) WORKS WELL!

with another Apple TV: IT (Netflix) WORKS WELL!

Apple TV 3rd generation and Netflix 139:NFErr_MC_AuthFailure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.