Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import m4v video file into iTunes

I'm running OS X 10.12.6 with the latest version of iTunes and QuickTime player 10.4 on an iMac Retina 5K 27" 2017 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7.

I have several m4v video files that were generated by someone else of my son's ordination.

They play fine in QuickTime player.

I tried using the "add to library function and dragging the file to the itunes window but neither resulted in the movie appearing in the Home Videos or any other location.

I converted one file from m4v to mp4 and that wouldn't import either.

I used QuickTime to export the file to AppleTV and that file wouldn't import either.

Not sure what else i can try.

Thanks for any help!

Posted on May 20, 2018 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2018 4:24 PM

Playing in Quicktime is promising. I recall people saying it playing in Quicktime is a test for it playing in iTunes but I also get the feeling iTunes is more fussy about codecs. It is like any major language and dialects. While theoretically anybody speaking English should be able to understand anybody else speaking English. in practice that is not always the case. The same goes for all the variants of mp4 codecs (the encoding format inside the mp4/m4v wrapper).

To "convert" from m4v to mp4 all you need do is rename the extension, but since iTunes prefers m4v it is probably best to just leave it as that.

Did you look in your Recently Added playlists? Likely the movie has no internal labeling.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2018 4:24 PM in response to trinko

Playing in Quicktime is promising. I recall people saying it playing in Quicktime is a test for it playing in iTunes but I also get the feeling iTunes is more fussy about codecs. It is like any major language and dialects. While theoretically anybody speaking English should be able to understand anybody else speaking English. in practice that is not always the case. The same goes for all the variants of mp4 codecs (the encoding format inside the mp4/m4v wrapper).

To "convert" from m4v to mp4 all you need do is rename the extension, but since iTunes prefers m4v it is probably best to just leave it as that.

Did you look in your Recently Added playlists? Likely the movie has no internal labeling.

Can't import m4v video file into iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.