Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malwarebytes and Komros

Hi,

I installed Malwarebytes some time ago. To be honest, I got lazy and didn't use it after a while as apparently I had nothing to detect. Thus I deleted Malwarebytes, maybe a year ago. Today, I found in my spam box emails informing me of failed deliveries to old email addresses I know that are no longer used by their owners, me being one of them! The subject mentioned something about receiving $25 for each email processed. Immediately I thought along the lines of malware. I looked on the App store and found Komros. Good reviews- Why not, I gave it a go. Komros detected two suspect files- both to do with Malwarebytes. I upgraded and therefore was able to delete these files.

In retrospect, I wish I captured a screenshot of the details. I felt stupid for installing Malwarebytes and opening myself up to malware. However... I cannot find anything on Malwarebytes suggesting it was actually malware. In fact, what look like trusted discussions suggest it is very safe and reliable. I am confused.

Did I just incorrectly uninstall Malwarebytes and Komros detected legacy files?

Is Malwarebytes suss?

Did I just sucker myself in with purchasing Komros?

I would appreciate any help here.

Thanks in advance.

BURGO79

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 21, 2018 7:03 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

May 22, 2018 1:10 AM in response to macjack

UPDATE:

Thanks for advocating Malwarebytes.

Just for completeness, I re-installed Malwarebytes and Komros again detected two "threats" related to Malwarebytes.

Neither Malwarebytes or Komros have identified any other malware.

You do raise an interesting point about App store programs and their effectiveness.

Screen shots.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Best regards,

BURGO79.

May 21, 2018 8:18 PM in response to BURGO79

I'm not familiar with Komros but if it identified Malwarebytes files that's probably because Malwarebytes does not conform to AppStore guidelines. It can't conform if it is going to do its job properly because it needs to check files in directories the AppStore does not allow apps to access.

This presents an interesting question: How can other AppStore anti-malware apps do an effective job? Malwarebytes is safe. It was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

May 22, 2018 1:48 AM in response to BURGO79

Hi burgo,

I and others have used Komros but only if the malware was heavily embedded, including working its way into Malwarebytes. It is efficient and very effective.

Otherwise, I recommend Malwarebytes for the basic malware issues.

However, the screenshots you produced aren't the case. It's just showing as Malwarebytes launching.... that's all :)

Well done on reinstalling it as a precautionary method.

All the best xx

Malwarebytes and Komros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.