Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Files Has Disappeared?

It started after my disk was full. I said I wanted to optimize with iCloud and now a folder with all my schoolwork has disappeared. I've tried all things and followed the iCloud drive suggestions. Still nothing. It cant be gone I'm sure, I haven't deleted anything. Uninstalled a few programs. But nothing that had anything to do with Word. Anyone?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, iOS 11.3.1, null

Posted on May 25, 2018 1:52 AM

5 replies

May 25, 2018 2:48 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Hi, thanks for your answer. I've tried this already, but the folders and all files seem completely gone. Not all my files of course but the folder with all schoolWork. Messy... :O

I'm now trying to restore files on icloud.com but its just been 'spinning' to find files for over an hour now. Not sure that's working correctly either. But surely, it can't be gone right, I mean I haven't deleted anything.

May 25, 2018 7:41 AM in response to mimojoseph

You may not have deleted anything, but because you were running your Mac with very little to no free space the OS may have decided to cull a few things in the name of self preservation. Never let the free space on your Macs HD get below 20Gbs, and never ignore the notices warning of low space. Move some of your files that you don't need on a day to day basis to an external drive, and restore your lost data from the back up you keep of all your important, must not lose data.

May 25, 2018 10:24 AM in response to mimojoseph

I use Find Any File to search my drive for files. If you don't have room on you drive, you can use the terminal to search for files.

/Applications/Utilities/Terminal

Copy and paste this line to the terminal. Then press return.

find ~ \( -iname '*.doc' -o -iname '*.docx' \) -type f

This will search for word documents in you home folder.

Here is my example.

mac $ find ~  \( -iname '*.doc' -o -iname '*.docx' \) -type f
/Users/mac/.Trash/Comments on ZTA copy.docx
/Users/mac/Yellow/Yellow 3x5 = Dec 2011.doc
/Users/mac/Yellow/Yellow 3x5.doc
/Users/mac/Yellow/Yellow-facebook-logo.doc

Should the word documents not be in your home folder, you can try:

find / \( -iname '*.doc' -o -iname '*.docx' \) -type f

Notice I changed the ~ to a /. This searches your entire drive for your files.

To search for all word documents that anyone owns on your drive do:

sudo find / \( -iname '*.doc' -o -iname '*.docx' \) -type f

you will need to be administrator and type in your logon password. No characters will appear. Press return when done.

R

My Files Has Disappeared?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.