Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Safari for Mavericks

Please explain what a specific MacBook Pro (originally shipped with, and currently using Mavericks) should now be running and why. The latest version of Safari for Mavericks is becoming more unsupported by some sites lately. Machine is working great and I see no necessity for changing anything just to make other people happy.

PowerBook G4-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11), 120 G. HD, 1 g. ram, superdrive

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

You are welcome. The only one I have any experience with is FireFox, which works fairly well.

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

May 25, 2018 1:57 PM in response to alcotaz In response to alcotaz

Safari 9.1.3 is the most current browser for Mavericks. Internet standards have changed since that version was released, so the browser is no longer current.

Try another browser.

Firefox 10.9 or higher

Opera Browser 10.9 or higher

SeaMonkey 10.9 or higher8

Waterfox 10.8 or higher

Firefox ESR 10.9

May 25, 2018 1:57 PM

Reply Helpful

May 25, 2018 6:36 PM in response to Eric Root In response to Eric Root

Thanks very much for your quick and most helpful reply Mr. Root. I don't know much about browsers, so I wonder if you could possibly pick one for me. Preferably one that you believe won't become obsolete soon. Thanks again, Tom

May 25, 2018 6:36 PM

Reply Helpful

May 26, 2018 12:38 PM in response to alcotaz In response to alcotaz

My sincere thanks to all. I downloaded Firefox and almost installed it until I read the reviews. Many people are having problems with it freezing their system (many warnings) and it's inability to handle payments to PayPal and Amazon, and I use both. Looks like I am back to square 1. My machine has been absolutely fantastic for 5 years.

May 26, 2018 12:38 PM

Reply Helpful

May 26, 2018 1:51 PM in response to alcotaz In response to alcotaz

You could try Chrome - I'm currently using it and it works pretty well. However it says it's not going to be updated any further (though I was able to get one update by separate download) but for the moment it works pretty well.

May 26, 2018 1:51 PM

Reply Helpful

May 27, 2018 6:18 AM in response to alcotaz In response to alcotaz

I use Firefox on every system that I currently have, and have done so for the past 10+ years. I have never had a problem using Paypal or Amazon and it has never “frozen“ my system. This includes use with OS versions going back, to the best of my recollection, to OS X Tiger, and many different Mac models. Go ahead and install it and try it out. Not sure where you read these reviews, but take them with a grain of salt. They probably indicate PEBKAC situations (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

I don’t install a ton of extensions, typically just stuff like Privacy Badger and Evernote Web Clipper.

May 27, 2018 6:18 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: alcotaz

Question: Safari for Mavericks