Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Drive not ejected properly

My iMac (late 2009, current OSX) often gives me the "Drive not ejected properly" message when I have not knowingly attempted to eject a (USB 2.0) drive. This happens with both hard drives & USB thumb drives. I can usually unplug the drive & plug it back in with no loss of data. My Drobo/RAID, which seems to have issues of its own, often is difficult to re-start.

iMac 27" & Macbook (White), Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on May 25, 2018 7:18 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 26, 2018 1:27 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I eject a drive by either dragging the icon to the trash, or (more often) ejecting from within Finder. However, these "Drive did not eject properly" messages appear when I have not ejected the drive. Until recently, this was only a minor nuance & had never happened while I was saving a file. However, my last backup (using SuperDuper) failed when the backup was interrupted. A 2nd attempt yielded the same result. The backup was of 2TB+ of RAW photos from the Drobo. With the old (late 2009 USB 2.0) iMac, this is a very long backup - about 10 hours. I have not tried the SMC & NVRAM resets. This is a great suggestion & I will give it a try. Thanks

May 26, 2018 6:30 PM in response to rkaufmann87

No - I have not attempted a restart in safe mode - another good suggestion that I will try. While I can attempt this & the SMC and NVRAM reset, my backup drive is safely stored in a bank safety deposit box - unavailable to me until the holiday weekend is over. Additionally, since this is an intermittent problem, I will be unable to determine if the problem is truly fixed for a while. Thanks for the (very) helpful suggestions.

Drive not ejected properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.