Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to start a sentence WITHOUT caps?

It is very unlikely that it's true, but since I can't find anything about it on the web and can't find it out myself I have to ask:

With the Smart Keyboard connected to my Pad Pro it seems impossible to start a sentence without a cap! I tried everything, but in Mail or Pages there will allways be a cap at the start of the line. I have to disconnect the Smart Keyboard in order to type the lower case letter before I can continue with the keyboard!

As I said, it seems so absurd that it cannot be true! A keyboard that expensive! What am I doing wrong?

Posted on May 26, 2018 8:47 AM

2 replies

May 26, 2018 10:40 AM in response to Stuart423

I have found many answers to this on another support page. They all work to some degree. One of them I would have never thought of until I the user posted why. Total facepalm 🏻♂.

For anybody else who wants all the madness to stop with their Apple Smart Keyboard capitalizing the first letter of a word. Be it because you’re trying to write a letter, you’re trying to type any of Apple’s words (iMac, iPad, iPhone, iPod, etc.), or you’re trying to type something as minute as an email address or username & password.

Here is a list of all the different ways you can get around the capitalization issue:

• Type the first letter twice (ie. Iipad)

• Turn off auto capitalization in Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard (not recommend)

• Press the Shift key before typing at the start of new line or sentence (you will be used to doing this when you use the on-screen keyboard)*

• *If you only ever use a lowercase letter for typing words that always start with a lowercase letter (ie. iPad), go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Hardware Keyboard and make sure auto correction is turned on. Then go to Settings > General > Text Replacement and create a text replacement for every word you can think of that always starts with a lowercase letter. By the way, it may be helpful if you search the web for a few good lists. I’ll help get you started:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Apple_Inc._products

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronics_brands

* If it helps, I prefer to use the two latter methods together. It helps me with proper capitalization of brand names and I now know that the shift key will turn of the capitalization when it turns on by itself.

How to start a sentence WITHOUT caps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.