Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encryption by the Disk Utility - is it software or hardware encryption?

Hi,

I would like to ask two questions about the encryption of an external hard drive using the Disk Utility:

1) When I encrypt an external hard drive (HDD) by formatting it as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled, Encrypted)”, what kind of encryption is it? Is it software or hardware encryption?

On one hand it looks like it is software encryption, because I am using a software (namely the Disk Utility) to encrypt the disk. On the other hand, when I later use the hard disk, I do not need to run the Disk Utility any more. When I drag data to the disk, the encryption takes place automatically, as if it was hardware encryption done by the disk itself. So, is it software or hardware encryption?

I use LaCie, Seagate and WD external HDDs.

2) In case it is software encryption, is it better to use the Disk Utility, or to download and use a specialized encryption software? Can you recommend any for Mac?

Thank you for your reply.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 26, 2018 8:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 1, 2018 10:52 AM

It would be FDE, full disk encryption. With that said, it would be software, as the only way to get hardware encryption of a HDD is for the manufacturer to have an encryption chip on the drive itself, that is enabled in the BIOS, which is why these drives are mostly used in PC's and not Mac's.

Disk Utility does FDE well. AFAIK it uses 256bit AES encryption. As long as you use a secure password, your data is as safe as you can ask for.

With that said, make sure you never forget the password, or have it stored somewhere safe, as the encryption will keep you out of the disk if you do, as easily as it will keep others out. 😉

Hope this helps.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 1, 2018 10:52 AM in response to Enthusiast1

It would be FDE, full disk encryption. With that said, it would be software, as the only way to get hardware encryption of a HDD is for the manufacturer to have an encryption chip on the drive itself, that is enabled in the BIOS, which is why these drives are mostly used in PC's and not Mac's.

Disk Utility does FDE well. AFAIK it uses 256bit AES encryption. As long as you use a secure password, your data is as safe as you can ask for.

With that said, make sure you never forget the password, or have it stored somewhere safe, as the encryption will keep you out of the disk if you do, as easily as it will keep others out. 😉

Hope this helps.

Jun 2, 2018 11:44 AM in response to SimplyMac

Thank you for your answer and I am sorry I reply with delay. I did not have enough time during the last workweek to get back to the discussion.

I also think that Disk Utility will be good enough for me. Speaking of which, why do people actually buy external HDDs with hardware encryption? I understand that people buy internal HDDs with hardware encryption because of the Cold Boot Attack, but is there any reason to buy an external HDD with hardware encryption? Is the only reason the fact that the hardware encryption does not slow down my computer, because it is not using the computer's processing power, or are there any other reasons?

There is one more thing that is unclear to me. Once I format the HDD as “encrypted” using the Disk Utility, which software executes the encrypting when I later use the drive? In other words, when I connect the encrypted drive to my or somebody else's iMac and drag some data on the drive, the Disk Utility is not running any more (at least not visibly), but the encryption of the data takes place anyway. Does it mean that there are some (hidden) OS processes or drivers doing the encryption for me automatically every time I work with the encrypted disk?Thanks for your reply again.

Jun 7, 2018 2:17 PM in response to Enthusiast1

When you encrypt a HDD drive with the Disk Utility on a Mac, the entire drive is set up as an encrypted HFS+ CoreStorage volume. macOS automatically detects these when you plug it in. The OS detects the encrypted drive, and a popup appears on the screen to provide the password to unlock the drive. Once you input your password, the drive unlocks, and you can red/write data to the drive as normal. Once you eject & unplug the drive, it is again locked with everything on the drive encrypted. Your password is what initially encrypts the drive and what unlocks/decrypts it so you can use it. Without the password you used to encrypt the drive, it is just useless gibberish to anyone else.

I would probably recommend reading up on FDE Encryption so you fully understand how it works, but that is it in a nutshell.

Jun 5, 2018 2:15 AM in response to Enthusiast1

Disk Utility when used to encrypt and external non boot drive is using the exact same (software) encryption as Apple use on the boot drive - that is the same as used by FileVault2, this is also what an encrypted TimeMachine backup uses. Whilst there are some differences between HFS+ and APFS encrypted volumes it basically boils down to XTS-AES-128bit encryption. I believe in most cases the processing of AES encryption and decryption both to do the initial conversion and any subsequent access is 'accelerated' by offloading this processing to hardware chips in modern Macs just like video codec processing for H.264 video is.

Note: Most other companies software encryption uses AES 256bit. Arguably this makes Apple's implementation a bit weaker but also less of a burden. Apple's version is still FIPS 140-2 certified.

Hardware encryption as provided by a dedicated hardware encrypted drive would normally use pretty much the same encryption as these software solutions use. The advantages of it being hardware is that as you surmised it offloads this task from the computer, it also means it is a platform independent implementation meaning that theoretically you could have an external hardware encrypted drive, format it as say ExFAT or FAT32 and use it on both Mac and Windows. By contrast Apple's software encryption is Mac only and Microsoft's BitLocker is Windows only. A possible disadvantage of hardware encrypted external drives is that they are likely not to be useable as a Mac boot drive.

Note: There used to be TrueCrypt a free open-source software encryption tool that could be used to encrypt external drives (it never supported booting on a Mac) but this is long discontinued. There is PGP Disk a commercial solution but this does not support booting - it is not to be confused with Symantec aka PGP WDE which is a different product.

In reality the performance hit of software encryption is unnoticeable - probably less than 5%. Even a hardware encrypted device has an overhead so that does not mean it is that much faster than a software encrypted drive.

Jun 7, 2018 2:27 PM in response to John Lockwood

Thank you for your replies. I have used Apple products for more than 15 years but this is for the first time I had to create the account and post here on this forum. Usually, I find all the information that I need myself, but this time the articles that I read about encryption didn’t quite answer my questions. Your replies help me a lot to get the information that I need. Special thanks to John who covered even extra information which was really helpful.

I am sorry if some of my questions are confusing but I am not a native speaker.

I am more or less decided to use Disk Utility to encrypt my external disks. It seems as the most straightforward way how to do it. For my purposes, I can see only one disadvantage compared to hardware encryption. As far as I know when I use SED (i.e. hardware encryption) the encryption key never leaves the disk. But how does it work with software encryption?

If I use Disk Utility, where is the encryption key(s) stored and is it deleted when I dismount my external disk? In other words, could anyone obtain the key(s) from the computer’s memory or the disk itself?

Also, if the computer retains the keys/password, it could be risky to connect the disk to someone else’s computer, right?

On the other hand, I guess hardware encryption is not 100% secure either.

Encryption by the Disk Utility - is it software or hardware encryption?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.