Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook pro SSD upgrade acting weird and super slow?

HELP!

I have problem. I upgraded my MBP 13" mid 2012 with a Samsung 250gb 860 EVO 2.5" SSD. I've done tons of research before I proceeded changing my MBP drive with an SSD. However, my macbook is acting wierd with the SSD but not with the HDD.

my problem is:

- when I turn on my macbook, halfway through the bootup loading screen it shows a "Prohibitory sign" ( which means a valid start-up disk has not yet been found), after a few minutes the screen shuts off then turns on and displays the loading screen and continues to complete the bootup. After the bootup is complete it takes few minutes to load up the mac OS interface and Once I'm on the mac OS interface everything is so slow and sluggish, whenever I moved my mouse or even open a folder or anything my cursor keeps on turning into a colorful spinning wheel.

I have tried:

- tried cloning the factory drive to the SSD using Carbon Copy and I have reset PRAM..

- tried installing a fresh copy of Mac OS from a USB stick and external hard drive.

- tried OS el Capitan and Sierra

-tried creating an external bootable drive by installing the Mac OS on the SSD using SATA to USB cable

-tried system preferences and set Startup Disk setting to be SSD
-tried internet recovery and it failed after painfully waiting for 5 hours.

Note:

The SSD is working fine, I tried it on my sisters MBP 13" mid 2012 and it was working perfectly fine.

I also, tried booting up my mac with the external bootable SSD drive using SATA to USB cable and it works perfectly fine. However, when I install the SSD on the mac the problem occurs again. So, I was thinking it could be the sata cable. Next, I tried using a different hard drive and also tested my sisters MBP hard drive on my mac and it boot up just fine.

My findings was that my MBP doesn't like the Samsung SSD but works well with any other HDD.

I have not tried a different SSD,

I have not tried changing the sata cable yet.

What could be the problem?

MacBook Pro, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 13" mid 2012 A1278

Posted on May 26, 2018 12:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 10:56 PM

Change the internal SATA cable—always recommended especially if moving form HD to SSD

addendum:

Internal SATA cables are actually not cables but flexible circuit boards, usually mylar, with printed circuit traces taking the place of wires. This type of cable can experience cracks in traces due to aging, heat, vibration, impact and abrasion. They can be damaged quite easily if the unit is mishandled during assembly or re-assembly.

In the case of an intermittent generic failure, the electrical continuity of a cracked trace on both sides of the crack is very often a function of the temperature of the unit at the point where the crack exists. As a unit heats up, it expands, and as it expands, the crack widens, eventually forcing a complete electrical separation to exist on both sides of the crack, hence a failure. As it cools down, electrical contact may once again be restored.

SSD= faster speed= more heat

One of many reasons Apple went to the PCI-e and soldered-in storage.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2018 10:56 PM in response to typeca5t93r

Change the internal SATA cable—always recommended especially if moving form HD to SSD

addendum:

Internal SATA cables are actually not cables but flexible circuit boards, usually mylar, with printed circuit traces taking the place of wires. This type of cable can experience cracks in traces due to aging, heat, vibration, impact and abrasion. They can be damaged quite easily if the unit is mishandled during assembly or re-assembly.

In the case of an intermittent generic failure, the electrical continuity of a cracked trace on both sides of the crack is very often a function of the temperature of the unit at the point where the crack exists. As a unit heats up, it expands, and as it expands, the crack widens, eventually forcing a complete electrical separation to exist on both sides of the crack, hence a failure. As it cools down, electrical contact may once again be restored.

SSD= faster speed= more heat

One of many reasons Apple went to the PCI-e and soldered-in storage.

Macbook pro SSD upgrade acting weird and super slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.