Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2014 2.6 GHz Mac mini with a RAID 1 external drive question

I have a 2014 2.6GHz Mac mini with 16GB of RAM and the standard 5400 RPM 1TB hard drive and running OSX 10.13.4 High Sierra. I have an external Samsung T5 500GB SSD that I have been using for time machine backup. My hobby is photography and after OSX and apps, my photos take up the most space on the mini's hard drive. While I still have plenty of room on the mini's hard drive, the SSD backup drive frequently runs out of room and I'm asked to delete older time machine backups. To solve external drive space problem, I bought a LaCie Big2 6TB Thunderbolt2 external drive system that comes with two 3TB 7200 RPM Seagate Pro series hot swappable hard drives that can be hardware configured as RAID 0, RAID 1, or JBOD. I installed the Big2 and configured it for RAID 1 which gives me two 3TB mirrored drives.

After I followed LaCie's instructions and set the hardware for RAID 1 and then formatted the drives in DiskUtility, I am only seeing one 3TB hard drive on the desktop. My question is, is it normal with a hardware configured RAID 1 to only see one drive on the desktop or should I see both?

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2)

Posted on May 27, 2018 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2018 10:52 AM

that is what raid1 is 1 drive mirror the other so every time you write a file to 1 it's also mirrored to the other

so if one dies you don't lose the file. so yes since you can't write anything to 1 drive which is also not written to the other you only get half the size

read more

https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2018 10:52 AM in response to Bill Schaffel

that is what raid1 is 1 drive mirror the other so every time you write a file to 1 it's also mirrored to the other

so if one dies you don't lose the file. so yes since you can't write anything to 1 drive which is also not written to the other you only get half the size

read more

https://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

2014 2.6 GHz Mac mini with a RAID 1 external drive question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.