Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After extending Network can't find Time Capsule

I have extended my Network at home and ever since I can't find the backup disc anymore.

Original set up was:

Router from cable provider which assigned the IP address starting with 10.0.0.xxx and then a Time Capsule Time Capsule in Bridge mode.

I had to add a additional Router as I got additional space in the same building.

I have therefore installed an Airport Express which also runs in bridge mode.

Ever since I installed the new Airport Express I can't backup to the time capsule anymore.

When I go to the Airport Utility it only sees the Airport Express and not the Airport Time Capsule even though I'm right now not connected to the Airport Express (to far away so I can't connect at home at all the the Airport Express).

When I click in the Airport Utility "Other Wifi Devices" it is greyed out.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 27, 2018 9:36 AM

3 replies

May 28, 2018 2:07 AM in response to Bob Timmons

I tried those steps just now and it didn't work.

I guess I made a mistake setting up the network. It's weird as the Time Capsule WIFI works as I'm connected to it. The other router (Express) is too far away to get a signal.

When I disconnect the Express and check the airport utility at home it only shows the Internet ask me if I want to Forget the Express. Which I do and then it only shows the Internet which is working.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

May 27, 2018 9:50 AM in response to BarneyCinni

Start with the basics first....which is always a good idea to do anyway.....after you make a change to the modem or any routers on the network. That would be a complete network power cycle.

Power off the entire network.....all devices.....modem, Time Capsule, Express, computers, printers, iPhones, printers, etc......in any order that you want.

Wait a few minutes.....4-5 would be good

Power up the modem and let it run for a full minute by itself

Power up the Time Capsule and let it run a full minute

Keep powering up devices one at a time about a minute apart until the entire network is back up

Depending on how many devices that you have, it might take 15-30 minutes to complete the entire power cycle

Check the network again and report on your results

May 28, 2018 2:30 AM in response to BarneyCinni

Power off the AirPort Express and leave it off.

Work on getting the network back to the way that it was before you tried to add the AirPort Express. In other words, the network layout in AirPort Utility will display only a Time Capsule when you have things back to the way that they were before.

Worst case, you may need to reset the Time Capsule back to default settings and then set it up again. If this is the case, you can use the same device name, wireless name and password(s) that you used before, or set things up with new names and passwords.

Once you have the network set up again with the Time Capsule in charge.....then.....it is time to try to add the AirPort Express back to the network. My recommendation would be to reset the Express back to default settings and then set it up again. I am not clear on whether the Express will connect back to the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet cable connection, or whether the Express will connect using only wireless. The setup is different depending on how the Express will be connected to the Time Capsule.

After extending Network can't find Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.