Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I moved and have a new cable internet net work. My time capsule is not backing up. The cable guy connected the time capsule to the router but it doesn’t seem to connect

Why isn’t my time capsule backing up to a new network

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Oct 8, 2020 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2020 11:15 AM

First check to make sure than an Ethernet cable is connected from one of the LAN <--> ports on the back to the ISP router.....there are usually 4 of them, use any one that you want.......to the "O" (circle of dots) port on the back of Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule if it is not already on and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

That completes the Hard Reset process. The data on the Time Capsule hard drive will not be affected by this process.

Not sure if you need more help to set up the Time Capsule again. Let us know.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2020 11:15 AM in response to Meg Henschel

First check to make sure than an Ethernet cable is connected from one of the LAN <--> ports on the back to the ISP router.....there are usually 4 of them, use any one that you want.......to the "O" (circle of dots) port on the back of Time Capsule.

Power up the Time Capsule if it is not already on and let it run for a minute or two

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 7-8 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow blinking amber light status

That completes the Hard Reset process. The data on the Time Capsule hard drive will not be affected by this process.

Not sure if you need more help to set up the Time Capsule again. Let us know.

Oct 9, 2020 9:48 AM in response to Meg Henschel

Whenever you change the modem or router to which the Time Capsule connects......or if you change ISPs.....you must perform a Hard Reset to erase the current network settings on the Time Capsule so that it can be set up again to work with the new network.

As it stands now, your Time Capsule is remembering the settings that it used to connect to your "old" network. But, the "old" network is no longer there, and the Time Capsule cannot find your "old" network so it does not know what to do. In simple terms, the Time Capsule is "lost".

Once you have performed a Hard Reset on the Time Capsule, it can be set up again with the correct settings to connect to your "new" network and things will start to work again.

Post back if you need a few tips on this.

I moved and have a new cable internet net work. My time capsule is not backing up. The cable guy connected the time capsule to the router but it doesn’t seem to connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.