Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Capsule away from home

How can I connect to my home's Airport Time Capsule 2Tera with a new 15'MacBook Pro 2018, away from home's internet? The Airport has already been set up previously. I want to be able to use it for backups with Time machine.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Sep 17, 2018 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2018 12:49 AM

For now you can still use BTMM.. as long as your home LAN is connected via a public routable IP address.

Or you can setup a system where you do it by port forwarding. The methods are outlined in the article from Tesserax.

I will add one more.. superior method. VPN.

Since Apple no longer makes airports.. they are not really interested in you creating your own cloud.. they want you to use iCloud.. lots of benefits to you.. and of course a really big one for Apple. They make more money!!

If you want VPN access buy a router that supports VPN as your next router purchase. The TC can plug into this as a dumb client. Or you can use USB drive plugged into the router. Almost all the high end domestic routers support some VPN client.. but the better ones.. eg Asus or Synology also support VPN servers. You can then VPN to your home and the client effectively becomes a part of your home network no matter where you are located in the world. This is standard business setup now.. but easy enough to replicate in your home.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2018 12:49 AM in response to JnVuc

For now you can still use BTMM.. as long as your home LAN is connected via a public routable IP address.

Or you can setup a system where you do it by port forwarding. The methods are outlined in the article from Tesserax.

I will add one more.. superior method. VPN.

Since Apple no longer makes airports.. they are not really interested in you creating your own cloud.. they want you to use iCloud.. lots of benefits to you.. and of course a really big one for Apple. They make more money!!

If you want VPN access buy a router that supports VPN as your next router purchase. The TC can plug into this as a dumb client. Or you can use USB drive plugged into the router. Almost all the high end domestic routers support some VPN client.. but the better ones.. eg Asus or Synology also support VPN servers. You can then VPN to your home and the client effectively becomes a part of your home network no matter where you are located in the world. This is standard business setup now.. but easy enough to replicate in your home.

Sep 17, 2018 1:12 PM in response to JnVuc

This is not a good idea. You will corrupt the backup in no time at all.

The laptop is designed to do local snapshots until you get back home and can do normal backups to your Time Capsule.

If you are away from home for extended periods then simply use a portable USB drive. Or make use of cloud storage .. although you cannot use Time Machine to do that.

You can if you are prepared for the pain setup TC using Back To My Mac (BTMM).

See remote access.

Tesserax has written this up ages ago.

AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods)

Be aware that Apple is removing BTMM from Mojave. So Apple are working on stopping this happening.

Prepare for changes to Back to My Mac - Apple Support

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/21/back-to-my-mac-macos-mojave/

Airport Time Capsule away from home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.