Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New "Privacy" Popup in Safari from Google

Hello all -

This is a continuation of my prior post about a new popup box appearing in Safari here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8397621

In that thread see especially the last reply from Eric Root and his link to Linc Davis' helpful suggestions. Since I am starting this as a new discussion my reply to Eric is below.

Thanks Eric -

I took a preliminary look at your link to Linc Davis' detailed reply and will have to spend some time searching about in my Library to digest all that, thanks.

In the mean time I have discovered an e-mail from Google entitled "Improvements to our Privacy Policy and Privacy Controls". This was lurking my my spam folder. Reading this makes it crystal clear that Google did this intentionally and considers it a service to users. The e-mail was dated May 12th, but I just didn't notice it till later. I'll assume Google had positive motives for doing this. Now I need to try and figure out if there is a way to stop the popup, maybe by following the details in the Google e-mail. Maybe if I take their privacy checkup it will stop the popup? While I appreciate Google's efforts to give users more control over privacy, I wish it did not lead to such an obnoxious result.

Sorry I've been occupied with another issue and haven't checked back on this until now. Thanks again for your detailed additional response. - Randy Knowles

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6), 2011; 2.7GHz i7; 8GB RAM; HD 6630M

Posted on May 27, 2018 11:32 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

May 27, 2018 1:39 PM in response to Randy Knowles

The pertinent part of the Google e-mail from May 12th is:

"This month, we’ve updated our Privacy Checkup with new illustrations and examples to help you make more informed choices about your key privacy controls. And since we understand that your preferences may change over time, the new Privacy Checkup enables you to sign up for regular reminders to check your privacy settings."

May 27, 2018 2:07 PM in response to Randy Knowles

Based on other posts I have read, I think tygb's post in your original discussion is correct. This is a new Google Policy and if you want to access Google pages, you will need to set you Privacy Settings by logging into Google. I read other companies are doing the same thing. It may have something to do with the new Internet standards enacted by the European Union.

New "Privacy" Popup in Safari from Google

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.