Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help upgrade my late-2008 mac book pro?

I have a late 2008 Mac Book Pro with 8 GB Memory and plenty of storage available. When I try to upgrade my OS X (following the "upgrade software" to Mac OS High Sierra free upgrade), I am given a message that reads, "We could not complete your purchase. This version of mac OS 10.13.4 cannot be installed on this computer."

Following the link to "Learn More", it shows an archived article that lists requirements of the computer for upgrade... (I have included the full body of the article, below)

but as I review the list, it seems to me that my computer meets the requirements.

I currently have 10.9.5 installed (according to "about this computer"); I have 8GB Memory.

Can anyone help me with this?

I don't know which system predates any other -- the names don't have much meaning to me (Mavericks vs High Sierra vs Lion and Mountain Lion and Snow Leopard.... )

OS X Mavericks system requirements

Learn about the system requirements for OS X Mavericks v10.9.

This article has been archived and is no longer updated by Apple.

To install Mavericks, you need one of these Macs:

• iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
  • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
  • Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)
Your Mac also needs:
  • OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed
  • 2 GB or more of memory
  • 8 GB or more of available space (Learn how to increase disk space)

Mavericks is available from the Purchases section of the Mac App Store, if you've previously downloaded it. If you're upgrading for the first time from Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard, consider installing OS X Yosemite v10.10. If your Mac can use Mavericks, it can use Yosemite.

Published Date:December 19, 2016

Posted on May 28, 2018 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2018 8:55 AM

Your Mac is not capable of running High Sierra or Sierra.

Download El Capitan 10.11

get El Capitan from the App Store

Similar questions

3 replies

Help upgrade my late-2008 mac book pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.