Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail icon stuck in dock

iPad Pro / iOS 11.3.1

In an attempt to put app icons in alphabetical order, I selected General/Reset Home Screen Layout.

All the apps sorted themselves alphabetically.

However, I cannot move the mail.app icon from the dock. Pressed and held until the icon wiggled, moved it to the desktop and it jumped back to the dock. I can move the Airmail icon to the dock.

I turned the iPad off (no change); reset the iPad (no change). I hope to resolve this without having to engage the Reset button...

iPad

Posted on May 28, 2018 11:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 7:52 AM

A follow-up:

In resetting the Home Screen Layout, iPad apps were all resorted alphabetically into 15 completely-full pages, and a few default apps, like Mail, were placed in the dock.

Apparently, since all 15 homes pages were completely full, I was unable to move any docked items into those home pages or shove any icons to the right to create a new home page. (Is 15 the max number of home pages? Is this an unadvertised feature of "Reset Home Screen Layout?")

After I cleared out some space by combining a few apps into folders, I was able to move the mail.app and other Apple default apps out of the dock and into the homepages.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2018 7:52 AM in response to Eric Johnson15

A follow-up:

In resetting the Home Screen Layout, iPad apps were all resorted alphabetically into 15 completely-full pages, and a few default apps, like Mail, were placed in the dock.

Apparently, since all 15 homes pages were completely full, I was unable to move any docked items into those home pages or shove any icons to the right to create a new home page. (Is 15 the max number of home pages? Is this an unadvertised feature of "Reset Home Screen Layout?")

After I cleared out some space by combining a few apps into folders, I was able to move the mail.app and other Apple default apps out of the dock and into the homepages.

mail icon stuck in dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.