Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to restore my iPod Classic 160

I have an iPod Classic 160. I connected it to my Macbook Pro to sync some podcasts but the iPod did not show up either on iTunes (12.7.4.80) or on the desktop. The iPod itself said it was connected and to eject before disconnecting.

Eventually iTunes put up a message saying that the iPod was corrupted, and to either disconnect/reconnect or to restore. I tried the solutions in that order. However even when the software was extracted the iPod would not restore because it was 'busy'.

I got as far as the homepage, and settings tell me that I have 0 space free, 143gb used but none of it is music, it is all 'other'.

I've tried all the support help topic suggestions but to no avail.

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 29, 2018 9:15 AM

11 replies

May 30, 2018 6:50 AM in response to turingtest2

...oh and now when I try to restore (iTunes still won't recognise the iPod, just says a corrupt iPod seems to be connected) I get an 'error 1430'

I've tried all the suggested tips. best I've got is the iPod now does restore but when I try to sync music back on it freezes and when I remove it, it has 46gb used but no music.

I tried to update iTunes but the update froze and now iTunes won't open - it says can't open while it's being updated but the update has disappeared, it doesn't show in the App Store and I can't restore iTunes from Time Machine.

May 30, 2018 9:48 AM in response to turingtest2

Tried it! It got me faqs far as the MacBook and iTunes recognising the iPod but I still can't sync. I tried a manual sync but it all froze part way through. Then iTunes went rogue and I had to reinstall. Now I get a message through iTunes that macOS cannot repair the iPod and that I have to restore it, although it doesn't open the 'restore' window. Another message tells me that I cannot sync because I do not have the requisite privileges. Glad I have my own iPod - the problem one is my wife's!

Now that iTunes is running again I'll retry the DFU method if I can get that far.

Cheers

M

How to restore my iPod Classic 160

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.