Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes store error code -9836

Hi All,

I can't get into the iTunes store since I had a iTunes 'hang' last night. Unfortunately, I didn't catch the error code then. I am getting an error code now, however, and it's -9836. So that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated from the community here as opposed to possible hours of 'due diligence'. I tried https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203174 which listed iTunes error codes but -9836 isn't listed.

Thanks in advance,

MM3

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8), iTunes 11.3.1

Posted on May 29, 2018 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2018 2:50 PM

Greetings,

Thanks for posting this issue in the Apple Support communities. I think what's interesting to note about what I've reviewed in this thread is that these operating systems are all older operating systems.

103 replies

May 29, 2018 1:03 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

Ah, I spotted a clue. That being to ignore the negative sign so I'll scour cyberspace for 9836 as opposed to -9836.

This is actually fun 😝 ... maybe I'll learn something that I can share with someone else. Turning negatives into positives is the Apple way anyways. I'm looking at the advanced editor out of the corner of my eye but I'm hoping my plea gets through to a kind soul who is more in the know than yours truly. Peace Out (for now).

Sorry, but I don't see any button to post this part... so I'll try replying to myself again. Is there an "Infinite Loop" in here or am I missing something? That's an inside joke that refers to a time before iPhones were all the rage.

I'll try pressing return first, before I continue typing to myself and/or other interested parties. But first I think I'll cut and paste this paragraph before I loose 5 minutes that I'll ... no wait! Recent buzz amoung Nuclear Physicists is that Time is actually an illusion that we mere mortals construct to give our existence meaning. Go figure 😐

Ok, hit return-> nada. Reply to self is next.

May 29, 2018 3:01 PM in response to rreinhardt93

Yep. Switched on the laptop this evening and the iTunes logo started jumping up and down and alerted me to the error. I also have iTunes on my iPad. I recently started getting messages there that my iCloud storage is full and that to be able to back up the iPad I need to either free up space or purchase additional storage. That wouldn't be related to the problem, or would it?

May 29, 2018 4:42 PM in response to turingtest2

Ah...tt2 nice to hear from you. Thank you for your input. You certainly do have a history of coming up with some of the most unique yet (so often) right on the money ideas.

I missed your suggestion a couple times around, but when I finally found it, I tried - but I cannot sign out of what I cannot sign into. Nonetheless, flank attacks are certainly brilliant when they work. Thanks again!

mm3

May 29, 2018 4:48 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

Any resolutions with getting this issue fixed? I'm having the same problems. When logging into iTunes error -9836 "Make sure your network connection is active and try again." I'm currently online BTW. Furthermore, when opening the App Store I get the following error, "Cannot Connect to the App Store An Internet connection is required". Again I'm currently logged onto the internet and have a connection. I get the same outcome whether using WiFi or the Ethernet connection. This issue just started today for me. Done numerous searches online with no luck.

May 29, 2018 7:58 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

So... here is my take. We all have old OS systems here.. I'm running an old MBP 10.7.5 and using iTunes 12.2.2. Go figure that all the OS updates were released today. New iOS (working just fine). New iTunes (can't update because my Mac OS is surely too old. AppleTV update, all good there. Homepod update, no problems. So, my guess is that on older Mac devices, iTunes won't be supported any more as far as the iTunes store. Which is super dumb as that is what continues to pay Apple with every purchase I make. But, it seems all so strange that all of these updates came out today and that is when all of us in this thread started having issues. The error code is nothing standard by any means, according to the customer service rep I spoke to a short while ago. She spent a good 20+ minutes researching and couldn't find a single thing on it. So, let's hope it's a temporary bug and that our Macs/old iTunes won't be outdated to the point where Apple won't support or allow the iTunes store connect. I always read about how Apple isn't supporting old iOS/MacOS systems and I think our time might be up.

May 29, 2018 8:32 PM in response to yohanhong90

For me, I have no choice. My MacBoom Pro is from 2012 so it can’t be updated as far as its operating system (processor isn’t fast enough). And since the operating system can’t update any more, I can’t update iTunes. So, I’m out of luck if Apple simply thinks that they’ll focus more on newer hardware/software and not worrying about older machines and their problems.

May 29, 2018 11:03 PM in response to Michael Murphy3

Thanks for raising this issue.

Today 30 May 18 I am experiencing the same problem.

Cannot sign in on iTunes Store on my MacBook running iTunes 12.2.2.25 and Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Error code is 9836 as being experienced by all those posting on this thread.

I have an older system yes and I don’t expect upgrades but it is very useful to me for streaming iTunes music and I want to keep it.

Hopefully Apple will take note and resolve this please.

NC

May 29, 2018 11:12 PM in response to noelfromact

Apple has to resolve this. If you go over all of their suggested steps to resolve a problem like this, they ask for one you to update your OS.

How? Update goes through App Store, and this won't connect.😝

For the people like me who cannot update due to software competabilty, or any other reason. Things should work like they did until yesterday when Apple changes something else. The simple " we don't support it anymore ", seems a bit bold.

May 30, 2018 12:37 AM in response to Michael Murphy3

Me too. Running Mountain Lion on a 2006 imac. Only happened today.

I suspect, with no proof whatsoever, that the older operating systems no longer meet security needs for ecommerce and we've been summarily dumped. Which is a dang shame. Makes paying $20 a month for Apple Music a bit redundant.

Amusingly, I could use a G3 iBook running Tiger to purchase music from the iTunes store this time last year...

iTunes store error code -9836

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.