Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

11.4 update battery drain

After updating to 11.4 on iPhone 6s, the battery has gone down 50% overnight twice now. My friend has the same problem on her iPad. Is this happening to others?

Posted on May 31, 2018 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 4:45 PM

I’m calling BS to the Apple response. The old replace the battery, it’s your apps, gps, indexing, etc. is not the problem.

It’s 11.4 software upgrade!

My phone goes nearly flat from 100 % overnight with everything closed, no mail pull, etc. just sitting. I’ve heard the standard answers given every time there’s a problem with an apple phone. I’ve had a few by the way.

What needs to happen is you need to say sorry Mr. Customer, we will rush a patch thru on this issue right away.

No cheers, just bad service from Apple.

70 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2018 4:45 PM in response to Briansyddall

I’m calling BS to the Apple response. The old replace the battery, it’s your apps, gps, indexing, etc. is not the problem.

It’s 11.4 software upgrade!

My phone goes nearly flat from 100 % overnight with everything closed, no mail pull, etc. just sitting. I’ve heard the standard answers given every time there’s a problem with an apple phone. I’ve had a few by the way.

What needs to happen is you need to say sorry Mr. Customer, we will rush a patch thru on this issue right away.

No cheers, just bad service from Apple.

Jun 1, 2018 1:33 PM in response to generdude

Hey, generdude.

I see that the battery life of your iPhone 6s has dropped, and I'm happy to help.

iPhone Battery and Performance -- This article provides information about the battery, how to maximize the performance, and introduces Battery Health (Beta) which can also help.

iPhone Service Pricing -- If your battery needs to be replaced, this is the pricing for the United States. Just scroll down to the heading "Battery service - United States". If you're in a different region/country, scroll to the bottom of this article, click the country listed in the lower-right corner, then select yours.

Take care!

Jun 4, 2018 10:20 AM in response to CarlAVII

I had the same problem and found the solution with the help of Mike Wuerthele at Apple Insider which worked perfectly for me. You'll need to do a clean install of the system.
Do these steps:
1) Back up your phone
2) Turn off Find My iPhone
3) Restore to factory settings and do a clean install of your system
4) Restore your iPhone with your back up

This takes a while - a couple hours...
Useful pages:
How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

Jun 1, 2018 1:51 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thank you Allen. I am familiar with that article and I also know about the replacement policy. I had a new battery put in last year and it's been fine. Then 11.4 came along and the battery slipped 50% twice. I understand that sometimes when there's a new update that indexing takes place and maybe some other procedures that resolve after a couple of days or so. I've put the phone in Low Power Mode and that has helped a lot. Hopefully, this will be temporary. My friend's iPad improved a little bit but is still losing battery power faster than usual. I've seen others on the internet complaining about the same issue, especially with the iPhone 6s.

Jun 3, 2018 9:38 AM in response to generdude

Likewise, I have the same issue with two of my iPhone 6s Plus while the battery of my iPhone 7 Plus only drains 2%. I took one of phone to Apple Store, the Technician told me that there is no thing wrong with phone battery. And he ran the Restore and Update procedure using the computer to ensure that the update is complete and proper. However, the problem persist. The phone was fully charged around 10 o'clock before I went to bed, and it shows 19% left in the morning.

Jun 3, 2018 9:03 PM in response to larkinoregon

Usually when I have this kind of problem I shut the phone off and turn it back on again. Well, I didn't remember to try that this time. This morning, I finally did it and, in Low Power Mode at least, I've had normal battery usage throughout the day (today, Sunday). So tomorrow (Monday) I will try it but not in Low Power Mode, and see if that works. I will report back. Meanwhile, I suggest we all try that. The other thing to try is to do a hard Reset.

Jun 5, 2018 9:36 AM in response to generdude

UPDATE: I previously posted that a clean install of the system fixed this problem. It fixed it for one night where the battery decreased from 100% to 97%.

Last night I went to bed with a 100% charge on the battery and woke up 8 hours later with 1% so this issue is beyond doing a clean install of the system. For clarity, this is an iPhone 6s which is 8 months old and battery health at 97%.

My iPhone 7plus and iPad Air II are functioning normally after the update to 11.4

Stan

Jun 6, 2018 2:02 PM in response to khogle2

I totally agree with you. I always charge both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone se every night. My iPad is the only device I upgraded to the 11.4. Yesterday I got up to a fully charged iPad, I assumed, I really didn’t look at the charge status. When I got home from work 8 hours later my battery was at 7%. I thought perhaps one of the prongs to the charger may have been down and not fully engaged in my outlet, so last night I double check to be sure they were both engaged. I check my charge status and it indeed was at 100%. Today when I got home I had a dead iPad and had to immediately hook it up and charge while using the device.

Apple needs to step up their game and fix the battery drain issue. I know the tricks about turning off battery draining apps and services, so it’s time another ‘bug fix’ is initiated.

11.4 update battery drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.