Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple's Migration Assistant

I have 2 Macs: an iMac running version 10.13.4, (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), Processor: 3.2GHZ Intel Core i5, HD: 1TB 7200RPM, Memory: 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, and also a 13” mid 2010 MacBook (white case), MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.4, processor: 2.4 GHZ intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, 1067 MHZ DDR3.

On the iMac, I have set it up for 2 users: me and one other. The other one is now only just the basic user data…nothing else - put another way, just the data that is placed in the user file when originally created. It is this other user that I want to transfer - via Migration Assistant - everything from the 2010 MacBook. The operating systems on both are the same (10.13.4).

My question: since I am migrating data from the MacBook to the iMac, shouldn't I be logged in to the other user account on the iMac before beginning the migration? Wouldn’t that seem to be the logical way to do things?

I have made use of Migration Assistant just once before and the one thing that stood out when done before was when I tried to use the Microsoft Office/Excel/PowerPoint suite of tools (MSOffice Mac 2011) on the Mac that I migrated to. After the migration, and each time I opened a Microsoft product, I was asked to provide the Microsoft product with the activation key. When both Macs were purchased, the MSOffice suite of tools were installed by a technician at the computer store. If I need this key again, how do I retrieve it from the MacBook before migration?..or since the iMac already has the complete MSOffice Suite of office tools on-board, would that be enough?

Is this what I have to look forward to after this latest migration? I hope not.

Thanks for all of your help.

Alan

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Sierra OS X 10.13.3, Memory: 24 GB

Posted on May 31, 2018 3:07 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

May 31, 2018 3:24 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy:

I have 2 Macs: an iMac running version 10.13.4, (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), Processor: 3.2GHZ Intel Core i5, HD: 1TB 7200RPM, Memory: 24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, and also a 13” mid 2010 MacBook, MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.4, processor: 2.4 GHZ intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4 GB, 1067 MHZ DDR3.

On the iMac, I have set it up for 2 users: me and one other. The other one is now only just the basic user data…nothing else. It is this other user that I want to transfer - via Migration Assistant - everything from the 2010 MacBook. The operating systems on both are the same (10.13.4).

My question: since I am migrating data from the MacBook to the iMac, must I be logged in to the other user account on the iMac? Wouldn’t that seem to be the logical way to do things?

I have made use of Migration Assistant once before and the one thing that stood out when done before was when I tried to use the Microsoft Office/Excel/PowerPoint suite of tools (MSOffice Mac 2011) on the Mac that I migrated to. After the migration, and each time I opened a Microsoft product, I was asked to provide the Microsoft product with the activation key. When both Macs were purchased, the MSOffice suite of tools were installed by a technician at the computer store. If I need this key again, how do I get it from the MacBook before migration?..or since the iMac already has the complete MSOffice Suite of office tools on-board, would that be enough?

Is this what I have to look forward to after this latest migration? I hope not.

Thanks for all of your help.

Alan

May 31, 2018 3:36 PM in response to Alan Blair

You should be logged into the computer to which you are migrating. MA is going to migrate data to a stipulated account ID. Either that ID does not exist on the Target machine or it does. In the case of the latter, you will be asked to change the name of the account usually by adding a number at the end of the account name - for example, Name_old to Name_old 1.

Obviously, you may require software keys for commercial products you own. Or be sure to import the desired keys from wherever they are stored. The MS key is stored in the /Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist file.

May 31, 2018 4:11 PM in response to Alan Blair

Hi Alan,

You can run Migration Assistant while logged in as any user. This is because once someone starts Migration Assistant, everyone (including the user who started it) is logged out, and the app is run by the system, permitting any and all users to be migrated to or from a Mac.

Your Microsoft Office product keys can be viewed by signing into your Microsoft Account here: Microsoft Office Account. Once you've signed in on your source Mac, click on View your product key(s). Your MS Office key should be displayed onscreen. Use this key to activate Office on your target Mac once Office has been migrated over.

Jun 1, 2018 6:08 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy:

After doing some more homework, I have just one more question: on the "migrate-to" iMac, I have several items taking up positions on various slots (Thunder, USB, etc.) Do I need disconnect everything before starting the migration process? I have read everything about Apple's Migration Assistant and can find nothing that specifically says yes or no. Your thoughts? Of course, the "migrate-from" MacBook, save for the Cat5e cable connecting it directly to the "migrate-to" iMac, will have all peripherals disconnected and all programs quit out of. As for the "migrate-to" iMac...does it matter? As well, all programs residing on the iMac will have been Quit out of.

I will let you know how things turn out.

Using Apple's Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.