Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Migration Assistant on my iMac

I have a late 2015 27-inch iMac, 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.3. I also have a Mac laptop, late 2010, also running MacOS High Sierra, version 10.13.3. Both units have plenty of RAM (iMac: 24GB, laptop: 8GB - maxed out for that model). I want to migrate (move or copy) all of the user data/files/folders from the laptop to the iMac. I have already created a user for this migration. Did I need to do that or will Migration Assistant do it for me. The upshot is that the laptop has one foot on death's doorstep and the other on a banana peel. I want to save all before it crashes for good.

I'm guessing that I must directly connect the 2 units via a Cat5e cable (I hope it doesn't require a crossover cable because I don't have one), then from the iMac, log in to the new user account, then make sure that each unit "sees" each other. I am also making the assumption that Migration Assistant will place the data within the (in my case) new user account, and in the correct spots.

How am I doing so far?

This is turning into a 2 6-pak job.

Any more suggestions?

IMAC (RETINA 5K, 27-INCH, LATE 2015), macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Sierra OS X 10.13.3, Memory: 24 GB

Posted on Mar 3, 2018 3:13 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Using Migration Assistant on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.