Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

quicktime Version 10.4 (928.13) cannot open file error during save

This issue just started recently for me. When I searched, I found another user has the same problem. In Quicktime, I can record and save videos of less than a minute. Until yesterday, I could record and save much longer videos. Now, however, it starts to save and gives the error "Cannot Open File." This is reproducible. I found a proposed solution which gave a path to where Quicktime saves recordings, but there was no file there. I'd buy a screen recording app in the app store, but the reviews aren't promising for them. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.4 on a MacBook Pro. It's really annoying to make a long recording and then be unable to save it.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on May 31, 2018 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 12:51 PM

The failures above were when I was trying to save a full screen video. I tried again without going to full screen and the save worked fine. So, my suspicion is that I ran into a maximum file size. I wonder if that is documented.

Similar questions

1 reply

quicktime Version 10.4 (928.13) cannot open file error during save

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.