Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to 10.13.5, lost Bluetooth

I updated to 10.13.5, lost Bluetooth. I "reset" the module, trashed the BT preferences, nothing worked. Help?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5), iPad Pro 9.7, Watch 42mm, iPhone X

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 5:21 AM

82 replies

Jun 10, 2018 1:57 PM in response to Apple 2GS

I just did the update this morning 6/10/18 and upon reboot my bluetooth mouse / keyboard are not working. I tried resetting the SMC to no avail. Everything was working fine before the update. I cannot even open the bluetooth settings under system preferences... mouse icon spins and does nothing until I force quit the sys preferences. Upon reboot, the mouse works for about 2 seconds and then stops. Repeat the process. If I only used the trackpad I might never even noticed the issue.

FYI: User uploaded file

Jun 15, 2018 1:04 AM in response to graememoad

My iMac is pro 5k and the MacBook Pro is also with retina display. However, my MacBook Pro with retina display which is very old now (mid-2012) updated with no problem in BT.

One thing I have noticed was the year of manufacturing, 2015! I have seen few 2015 here which nothing has solved their problem with BT.

I remove everything with fresh High Sierra 10.13.5 and nothing! I left my iMac turned off for hours with nothing plugged, still nothing.

I am hoping a new minor update comes fast. The next version is in beta with no mention of BT:

https://download.developer.apple.com/Documentation/Beta_Release_Notes_11_June_20 18/macOS_10.13.6_beta_2_Release_Notes.pd…

Jun 14, 2018 8:35 AM in response to graememoad

I am in the exact same situation! I update to 10.13.5 and after a restart, the BT is on with Off button greyed out! But it is not on as you can't connect to anything.

I have tested all the usual suspects:

• Thousands of restarts! Couple hundreds shutdown 😉
  • Removing the plist,
  • NVRAM/PRAM reset,
  • SMC reset,
  • Fresh Install: downloaded the latest High Sierra from Mac App Store, made a bootable USB, removed/erased my entire Volume and installed a fresh High Sierra. The version was 10.13.5 and a fresh install was exactly the same!!! Off button greyed out and nothing can connect.

So I had to restore by my Time Machine cause as annoying it is to not have BT and connect stuff by cable, I still need my files and apps.

I updated to 10.13.5 on my 2012 Macbook Pro with Retina (first generation) and it worked. But on my iMac 5k (mid 2015) it did not! I don't know what's going on.

Jun 10, 2018 2:50 PM in response to Apple 2GS

More info. Upon shut down for approx. 10 minutes and restart, I was able to access bluetooth options. My mouse and keyboard were listed there, but only the mouse was listed as "connected," although it was unresponsive. I attempted to remove and re-pair, but the laptop never "found" the device. Upon another restart, the previously removed devices were once again listed in the bluetooth settings. Feels like I'm stuck on this one. I hope a fix is coming soon.

Jun 10, 2018 10:26 PM in response to Apple 2GS

The mac indicates Bluetooth is on. But its not on nothing can see it and it cannot see devices. The devices work fine with another mac. The option to turn bluetooth off is greyed out.

The other mac is running 10.13.4. I am reticent about updating it.

I not there have been issues with blue tooth disappearing upon installation of other High Sierra updates.

Will try making an appointment at a Genius bar. Bur that will take some time as I cannot get there easily on work days.

Jun 10, 2018 10:32 PM in response to Apple 2GS

I had the EXACT same issue that you have now. I had to “zap” my Bluetooth module & “zap” my PRAM too to get the Bluetooth working fully again. I’ve been an Apple Computer / Apple Inc user since 1980. Apple ][ to Apple Macintosh. The quality control just isn’t there anymore with Apple. They send out Beta software too often now, calling it Gold Master ready. Hardly. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak would NEVER let such messy not ready for prime time items out of the nest. Cook is getting very sloppy.

Updated to 10.13.5, lost Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.