Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.4 iMessage keyboard and screen problems spreading system wide

Since installing iOS 11.4 my iPhone SE has problems with the iMessage app.

While typing a message the keyboard starts behaving strangely, becoming unresponsive and misaligned with where I tap it. Then the problem spreads to the whole screen and then system wide, with the iPhone opening apps all by itself.

I use the Gboard keyboard and uninstalling this has lessened the problem a lot.

But today, after receiving a quick sequence of messages, the problem reoccurred while using the standard keyboard. However, this time thing got better when I left the phone alone for a minute. (That was not the case while I still used the Gboard keyboard. Even a reset could not solve the problems then.)

iPhone SE, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 1:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 2:23 AM

Well, if a forced restart is not helpful (I would give it try again), the next step is to install a fresh copy of iOS on your SE.

To do it, make a full backup of your device (via iTunes or via iCloud): How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When done, restore your device to factory settings, and, at the end, set it up as new:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

After setting it up as new, test it for a while, without restoring your data from backup. If it works fine, you can exclude a hardware problem.

If it doesn't work, have your iPhone inspected at your most convenient Apple store or Authorized Service Provider: Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

If it works, you can restore your data for your previously made backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If the issue comes back, you data could be corrupted, and you have to restart this procedure (restore to factory settings) from the beginning, installing one app at a time, and test it).

Regards and best of luck

Giulio

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2018 2:23 AM in response to dsojourner

Well, if a forced restart is not helpful (I would give it try again), the next step is to install a fresh copy of iOS on your SE.

To do it, make a full backup of your device (via iTunes or via iCloud): How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When done, restore your device to factory settings, and, at the end, set it up as new:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

After setting it up as new, test it for a while, without restoring your data from backup. If it works fine, you can exclude a hardware problem.

If it doesn't work, have your iPhone inspected at your most convenient Apple store or Authorized Service Provider: Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

If it works, you can restore your data for your previously made backup:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

If the issue comes back, you data could be corrupted, and you have to restart this procedure (restore to factory settings) from the beginning, installing one app at a time, and test it).

Regards and best of luck

Giulio

Jun 4, 2018 12:15 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Hi Giulio!

Still trouble...

I've restored the iphone with itunes.

Tested a clean install. Same problem.

Downgraded to ios 11.3, clean install, same problem.

That would indicate a hardware problem. But.

-Problems started right after installing 11.4

-It has to do with the message app and only the message app. How can that be hardware?

When I don't use the message app, everything's fine. Then, when a message comes in, the screen becomes overly sensitive so that when I hover my thumb over the bottom of the screen (not touching it) apps in the middle of the screen get triggered.

Very very strange!

Jun 4, 2018 10:35 PM in response to dsojourner

Sorry about that, dsojourner.

But I'm afraid that (if you followed all the truobleshooting steps I provided, and reading also your last post, even the strange property of your thumb) I can't find a good solution for you (and this is quite frustrating), but I must admit that I don't see any reasonable further step to suggest. So, let me embark on flights of fancy...

Are you using a screen protector on your device? Try to remove it.

Do you have a case? remove it

Does it happen everywhere, or only at home, at work, close to something emitting radio waves?

What happens if you turn your airplane mode on, and start typing a text message?

Flights ended.

If nothing changes, have your iphone checked.

And please, keep me informed.

Regards

Giulio

Jun 4, 2018 11:33 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thank you both for looking into my problem!

My theory:

My phone is second hand. I don't know the history.

Could it be that the screen was replaced by a non-original one and that the non-standard digitizer is giving trouble?

The trouble started after the 11.4 update (but persists after downgrade) and only occurs when the Message app is active.

The Genius bar is too far away and too busy here in Holland, no time for that, so I'm thinking about having the screen replaced with an original one at a shop here in town. But is it worth the bet? hmmm

Jun 5, 2018 6:51 AM in response to dsojourner

While it is possible that there was service done on the phone, no one would know. However, you say you wish to have it replaced by a shop in town. Is it an Authorized Apple Service provider? If not, then they are not going to have an original screen, as Apple does not sell parts. Only Apple, or an Authorized Apple service provider will have OEM equipment and parts.

At this point, if the Genius bar does not seem to be an option, you can arrange to send the phone in, or deal with it in your own fashion. Good luck.

Jun 12, 2018 11:53 PM in response to dsojourner

The problem seems to be solved by replacing the screen.

I've reluctantly re-updated to 11.4.

Problems not reoccuring so far (fingers crossed).

So it was probably a faulty digitiser coinciding with the previous 11.4 update.

The screen was replaced by a local shop that refurbishes original screens (30min, 59euro).

Thanks to ProustGiulio and ChrisJ4203 for responding so promply!!!

iOS 11.4 iMessage keyboard and screen problems spreading system wide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.