Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.13.5 update fails with black screen

When trying to update a Mac Pro (Late 2013) to 10.13.5 from 10.13.4 all I get is a black screen with the pointer. Nothing else. I've tried the standard and the combo update with same results. Now my Mac Pro won't even shutdown or restart (always goes to the black screen with the pointer).

Any ideas on what I can do or where I can check if there's any error blocking the update?

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 10:41 AM

After lots of tests, I've found this page https://appletoolbox.com/2016/12/mac-will-not-shut-fix/

1. rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*
  2. rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/*
  3. sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/*
  4. sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  5. atsutil databases -removeUser
  6. sudo atsutil databases -remove
  7. sudo atsutil server -shutdown
  8. sudo atsutil server -ping
  9. sudo rm -rf /var/folders/*

This sequence made the trick and now I can restart and shutdown my mac 🙂

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2018 10:41 AM in response to Ogaroth

After lots of tests, I've found this page https://appletoolbox.com/2016/12/mac-will-not-shut-fix/

1. rm -rf ~/Library/Caches/*
  2. rm -rf ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/*
  3. sudo rm -rf /Library/Caches/*
  4. sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/*
  5. atsutil databases -removeUser
  6. sudo atsutil databases -remove
  7. sudo atsutil server -shutdown
  8. sudo atsutil server -ping
  9. sudo rm -rf /var/folders/*

This sequence made the trick and now I can restart and shutdown my mac 🙂

Jun 3, 2018 3:47 PM in response to Ogaroth

The update worked well on my MacBook Pro, but not on my late 2013 iMac, so it's stuck at 10.13.4 (tried the App Store and the combo update...).

Similar problem before on a Mac mini, which wouldn't update to 10.13.4 so it's still at 10.13.3...

I'll have a look if 10.13.5 will work on the mini... If so, the iMac might have to wait for 10.13.6?

So this is the second time this problem occurs... A tendency?

Jun 4, 2018 12:14 PM in response to bill8989

I turned off a bunch of startup items (Dropbox, Fantastical , Siri, Skitch, 1Password) and logged of iCloud... but the problem stays... Can't restart or shutdown, that annoying black screen appears.. when I press a button there's an alert sound, so it seems there's something behind te black screen... I'll keep looking but i might just erase my drive and start over...

Jun 4, 2018 3:09 PM in response to pwwwayne

Yeah, it feels like something is active... Like an app that is asking something and it's keeping the Mac from rebooting... So nothing I tried helped, and I did a reinstall. Hard shutdown, then start up with Cmd and R keys pressed (recovery mode). Erased the drive withs Disk Utility and then did a fresh install. I started Time Machine but it was taking a long time so I aborted that (beforehand i copied all the stuff i wanted to keep and found a lot of old stuff that was just sitting there... so Time Machine would have brought back a lot of stuff I didn't want anymore... so there's the positive side of this thing: a nice fresh start :-)

After High Sierra was installed (right away to 10.13.5) i cancelled the iCloud setup during the setup proces.. it was taking a long time, maybe because of downloading all my photos? So I just started the fresh Mac.

After adjusting some settings the finder was stuck, eh.. so there was another hard shutdown, but after that my Mac started up quickly, and it was restarting again! So problem fixed!

About the recovery from Time Machine.. Is this problem caused by some bad setting and is is coming back with a Time Machine reinstall? I don't know.... Maybe it's fine. Either way is going to take some of your time, and I'm happy with the fresh start...

Jun 18, 2018 7:21 PM in response to Ogaroth

Guys, had the same problem and solved it in a incredible silly way.

Being a complete rookie on this, I looked everywhere and tried every solution without the need of a TimeMachine recover.

After too much frustration, when I got that screen with the pointer on the left corner, I just decided to type my login password over it, as if I was being shown the login page, and, to my surprise, it moved on to a “completing installation” process that finished OK.

Somehow, that login page refuses to appaer during updating process, can’t say why cause I’m rookie. I got mid 2011 mac mini.

Hope I helped everyone. Cheers

Jun 29, 2018 2:08 PM in response to Ogaroth

Mid 2010 Mac Pro 5,1

I had an issue trying to install 10.13.4 and 10.13.5 where after restart, it would just be a dead monitor. No signal to monitor.

Tried multiple things. Safe boot, software restore, etc.

Realized it might be something about the new graphics card I installed awhile back. Sapphire HD7950 mac edition. After some research on EFI and firmware, came across an installation guide for the card stating to make sure to slide a switch on the device over to the right for use on Macs. Did that, and install worked fine. Back up and running.

Jul 8, 2018 1:19 PM in response to Ogaroth

The first two times I restarted I got the black screen. The third time it came up to the grey screen with the Apple logo and said installing software. The status bar didn't move and then the screen went black after an hour and 11 minutes. I then had a beep and the grey screen came back and the install status had moved and indicated 40 minutes left. I continued to let it run and it installed completely and Im able to shutdown and restart as normal. The whole process took 3 hours and 24 minutes.

Sep 16, 2018 12:09 PM in response to Ogaroth

Had the same issue installing MacOS Sierra 10.13.6 install went fine but got black screen when MacBook tried to reboot

*solved issue by rebooting in safe mode (power off, turn back on, wait for chime then immediately hold shift key until apple logo and loading bar appears - takes ages to boot) but when it does enter your login details and the install will complete - appears to require authentication on device before install will finalise

Sep 16, 2018 12:15 PM in response to Ogaroth

Had the same issue installing MacOS Sierra 10.13.6 install went fine but got black screen when MacBook tried to reboot

*solved issue by rebooting in safe mode (power off, turn back on, wait for chime then immediately hold shift key until apple logo and loading bar appears - takes ages to boot) but when it does enter your login details and the install will complete - appears to require authentication on device before install will finalise

10.13.5 update fails with black screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.