Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

certificate not trusted since ios 11.4

Hello everybody,

it is my first post/question. i hope, i can describe my issue correctly. please forgive me my english (i have to translate from german). Thanks in advance!

I am trying to configure my new iphone x. When i try to add a new Exchange-Account (Exchange-Server provides a self-signed certificate only), i get a message "certificate not trusted" with no option to install?!

In previous ios-versions it was possible to check the certificate-details and to continue. In my testing today with a freshly reset iphone 6 i was able to confirm the issue described above.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Viktor

iPhone X, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2018 12:31 PM

I am having this same problem. I am able to install my cert, but I can't get iOS to trust it. My cert shows up under Settings->General->Profile but not under Settings->General->About->Certificate Trust Settings. All I see there is "Trust Store Version" and "Learn more about trusted certificates."

Grrr....

17 replies

Jun 5, 2018 11:39 AM in response to viktor_from_cologne

Hello viktor_from_cologne,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with trusting a certificate. I’m happy to help.

I suggest checking out the following article:

Trust manually installed certificate profiles in iOS - Apple Support

If the issue persists, you’ll want to reach out to your Exchange Server Admin.

Cheers.

Jun 14, 2018 9:52 AM in response to viktor_from_cologne

I can also confirm we are seeing this issue across all of our customers utilizing iOS 11.4 and Exchange 2013 environments with self signed certs. The article mentioned by Becky does not apply because there is no cert to "trust" in that location.

It seems the fix is to purchase an SSL cert or install the Outlook for iOS app and setup the email there.

Unless someone else has something else to offer?

Jul 12, 2018 7:55 AM in response to RBrookbanks

Absolutely agree, Rob. The only way to setup exchange email boxes utilizing a self signed cert is to actually push the cert to the phone, enable it, and allow it. It's really silly the steps you have to take in order to make it work.

Depending on how the network is setup - you can browse to the https://localhost/certsrv on the phone, download the cert from there.

Another option is to simply email the cert to another email address setup on the iOS device and install it from there.

Keep in mind, not only do you have to install the cert - you have to allow it. This is not so by default. To do this go to General > About > Certificate Trust Settings > enable cert.

Best course is just to get a paid SSL cert in the end.

Dan

Jul 12, 2018 8:19 AM in response to DanDickson1234

Indeed Dan, unfortunately not all of my customers like paying for certs.

It's a bit easier on SBS 2011, for the benefit of Google, how to install Exchange self signed cert on IOS 11

on the phone go to https://remote.yourcompanydomain.com/remote

Accept the warning to continue if prompted in Safari.

Log in then browse to Public > Downloads > Certificate Distribution Package and click on the .cer file to install it to the device following the steps above.

Jul 12, 2018 8:34 AM in response to RBrookbanks

Great to know!

GoDaddy SSL Certs run $120 per 2 years. Drop in the bucket for benefit (I get the bit about customers not wanting to pay for these types of things!). If you're a reseller of GoDaddy certs, very easy to manage and implement. In my experience , a much better management experience than GeoTrust. There is no increase in cost to customer, just a discount to the reseller - it's like $15 dollars.

Dan

certificate not trusted since ios 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.