Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail uses the wrong return address

The answers to this problem that I found online don't apply to MacOS High Sierra. I.e. there's no "Use only this SMTP Server" option anymore. Please help.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 7:12 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jun 5, 2018 10:50 AM in response to Ambertose

The title of your message does not square up with its content.

Which of the two is the problem?

If you receive a message to one of your accounts, and hit reply, it should be replying using that same account.

Which SMTP server is associated to which account is a completely separate question.

It should be set in Mail->Preferences->Accounts->Server Settings

the options there are different depending on what type of account it is (POP, IMAP, Exchange).

If you can clarify what exactly is the problem you are facing, maybe we can offer more tailored help.

Jun 6, 2018 2:11 PM in response to Ambertose

If the issue is an incorrect return address is being used, do the following to change it:

1. Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts.

2. Select your account and choose Account Information tab on the right.

3. Inspect the Email Address menu on the right. Clicking this menu gives you the option to Edit Email Addresses. You can specify another address.

Bryan Dulock

Houston, Texas

Jun 6, 2018 2:41 PM in response to bfdulock

Thanks for sending your reply. If it were only that easy!

Yes, I tried that, but nothing changes. The email address that shows up at the recipient is NOT the email I type into "email address" under Account tab.

It might have something to do with the fact that the email address that shows up (unintentionally) at the recipient's is the gmail address for the account ("mygmailaddress@gmail.com"). That email address is tied to the website-based email address I use professionally (myurlhere.com), which is the one I want to (and have had!!) appear when I send emails!

The riddle is that it has worked fine for quite a while! Something changed!

How can I change it back??!!?

Thanks.

Jun 7, 2018 2:04 AM in response to Ambertose

First of all, you cannot completely control how the receiver's email client displays messages, including the sender.

If your name is You and your account is "myaccount@myserver.com", it may display just the address, just the name, or both. Not much you can do about that.

Also,

myurlhere.com is NOT an e-mail address.

so perhaps you may want to clarify by showing us a specimen of how you expected things and of how they are actually appearing

Mac Mail uses the wrong return address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.