Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving files over local network.

I am having trouble of moving files from my computer to my wife's computer over my local WiFi network.

My wife's computer has two separates user accounts on it. The first account is the account she set up when she first got the computer. The second account is a user account she recently set up.

I am able to copy/move files to any folder she wishes on the first account. See this screenshot.

User uploaded file

On the second account I can only copy/move files to the dropbox on her public folder. See screenshot.

User uploaded file

How can I change this, so I can copy/move files to the second account like I can on the first account?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 11:55 AM

3 replies

Jun 7, 2018 8:40 PM in response to Eric Root

You don't understand what I am trying to do. I don't want to work in that account. I only want to move or copy files from my computer to specific folder(s) on my wife's computer in the second user account.

Besides, when my wife is actually working in that second account I can't move files and/or folders to anywhere on that account other than the dropbox folder inside the public folder. And I cannot see the content of that dropbox folder.

Also, there is only one way to sign on to my wife's computer, which is with the user name and password she set up when the computer was first set up. She does not use a password when switching form the first to the second user account with fast switching.

As you can see from the first screen shot the two user accounts in question are "maria" and "TIBP"

Jun 8, 2018 9:35 AM in response to Zews 39

The reason you can only access the Public/Dropbox in the second account is because you aren't signed into that account, thus you don't have permission to access the other files/folders. That is why I suggested signing in as TIBP. Another option would be to place the files in the Shared folder in the 2nd screen shot. She could then access the files from either account.

Moving files over local network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.