Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 11 Maps not working after update - iphone 6

Last week I received an error message on my iphone stating to update the battery.
When making the appointment at the Apple Store, was told must update to the latest version of IOS 11 (had been avoiding any update to any version of IOS 11 because of all of the publicity of the issues with the iphone 6). Immediately after updating to 11.3 (and then 11.4 later this week) the Maps app stopped working. I use this app multiple times per day. I have been to my local Apple store twice in the last week to see a "Genius" and then a "Genius Manager". Have been on the phone with Apple Care (a manager who says she is the highest I can go) now for over an hour. She tells me that the maps function not working after IOS 11 is "not at all related to the software update, but to the phone's hardware." Both people in the store said it's new software on an old phone. My "option"? Buy a newer phone. Huh. Well Maps was working just fine until the software update. Yeah. Just fork over another $800 - 1200 so I can have a phone with the maps app working just like it did before the software update.

[Edited by Host]

iPhone 6, iOS 11.4, Maps not working

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 9:22 AM

I have a new iPhone 8 Plus. And by new I mean I just had to have Apple replace it a month and a half ago. It’s not even an old 8plus.

Maps isn’t working on my phone either. It has all to do with the update. Apple you need to fix this NOW. people rely on their navigation!

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 4, 2018 1:13 PM in response to Juleshr

While I don't have an iPhone 6, if Maps is not working, then the first step is to restore the device to factory, set it up as new, and test before adding any additional content to the device. If it won't work, then you visit Apple. However, you say that you saw them, but did not indicate what troubleshooting they did, so it is hard to say. However, there was nothing in the iOS update that "broke" Maps for anyone. Your issue is your individual device, and as such, needs to be troubleshot on its own. If the Genius mentions that it is hardware, then it is hardware. The statement about new software on an old device is not correct. The iPhone 6 will still support iOS 11.4, and Maps should be functioning, so long as you have a data connection.

Also, you do not state what the issue is except "it stopped working", which could indicate anything.

Jun 4, 2018 1:26 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Their own employees said it was "old phone and new software," both the Genius and the store manager. The store manager told me today that I shouldn't even buy the iphone 6S (cheapest option to replace my current phone WHICH WAS WORKING PERFECTLY BEFORE THIS UPDATE) but to go to at least an 8 so as these "software roll outs happen, this issue would not happen again for a while". They are outright admitting that the software doesn't work in older phones.

They have done all you have said above.

There are hundreds of posts in several tech sites which state the same problem. Google IOS 11 + Maps not working. All of these people suddenly had a "hardware issue" after updating the software? Not likely.

Jul 1, 2018 11:12 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I have a iPhone 6S Plus and Apple Maps broke at upgrade 11.3 or 11.4. I have to close everything and restart phone in order to get one search and direction. But it will lock up before I get to destination. I also used to use Maps several time a day. Now must resort to Google Maps! I also have crashes and lockup’s. Will have to wipe phone and reinstall as next step. Unbelievable!

IOS 11 Maps not working after update - iphone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.