Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wi-Fi connectivity problems after latest Sierra security update.

Has anyone else had any Wi-Fi connectivity problems after latest Sierra security update, such as refusing to remember Wi-Fi passwords and refusing to connect to (known) Wi-Fi networks automatically, something that has never failed in the previous 8 years I've had this computer (17" MacBook Pro Mid-2010)?

I have tried removing remembered networks, but that does nothing, nor does ticking remember this network ...

None of the Wi-Fi are Apple Airport.

OBS,MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Also running 10.8.5

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 5:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 7:16 PM

"What does Wireless Diagnostics show?"

User uploaded file

None of the other links provided a solution (btw, the fourth link appears to be broken or at least not going to the referred article).

"Also try turning off Bluetooth."

I don't use Bluetooth ...

As this appeared to be a problem with logging in to Wi-Fi networks, I had initially tried to delete the key from Keychain for the particular network (something I perhaps will need to do for each password protected wireless network), but was continually told that "An error occurred while deleting UNIX[Operation not permitted]" ...

The problem (perhaps) appears to have been solved by the solution provided by this post ... whereby SIP (system integrity protection) needs to be turned off by booting into the recovery disk (hold down option key at boot and select Recovery disk) and doing it via the Terminal ...

Re: Cannot Delete Key from System Keychain

"... disabling system integrity protection (SIP) temporarily allowed me to once again modify the system keychain.

To disable SIP, restart in recovery mode and use Terminal to run:

csrutil disable

Restart into your regular boot drive and make the keychain changes.

To re-enable SIP, restart in recovery mode and use Terminal to run:

csrutil enable

After restarting back to my main partition, I was still able to modify the keychain ..."

At the moment, this method of deletion (a more circuitous method I've never come across ...), appears to have resolved the problem. I am not looking forward to having to do this on the rest of the password protected Wi-Fi networks ...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2018 7:16 PM in response to Eric Root

"What does Wireless Diagnostics show?"

User uploaded file

None of the other links provided a solution (btw, the fourth link appears to be broken or at least not going to the referred article).

"Also try turning off Bluetooth."

I don't use Bluetooth ...

As this appeared to be a problem with logging in to Wi-Fi networks, I had initially tried to delete the key from Keychain for the particular network (something I perhaps will need to do for each password protected wireless network), but was continually told that "An error occurred while deleting UNIX[Operation not permitted]" ...

The problem (perhaps) appears to have been solved by the solution provided by this post ... whereby SIP (system integrity protection) needs to be turned off by booting into the recovery disk (hold down option key at boot and select Recovery disk) and doing it via the Terminal ...

Re: Cannot Delete Key from System Keychain

"... disabling system integrity protection (SIP) temporarily allowed me to once again modify the system keychain.

To disable SIP, restart in recovery mode and use Terminal to run:

csrutil disable

Restart into your regular boot drive and make the keychain changes.

To re-enable SIP, restart in recovery mode and use Terminal to run:

csrutil enable

After restarting back to my main partition, I was still able to modify the keychain ..."

At the moment, this method of deletion (a more circuitous method I've never come across ...), appears to have resolved the problem. I am not looking forward to having to do this on the rest of the password protected Wi-Fi networks ...

Jun 5, 2018 9:28 AM in response to NucMed

What does Wireless Diagnostics show?

Wireless Diagnostics

Wi-FI connection drops

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (2)

Wi-Fi Problems in OS X Yosemite (3)

WiFi Potential Temporary fix - Yosemite

Also try turning off Bluetooth.

If your Wi-Fi source is capable of generating a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network, try that to help avoid conflicts with Bluetooth.

Wi-Fi connectivity problems after latest Sierra security update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.