Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ringtone cutting off after a few seconds

This might have been an issue for me for a while, but have only recently become fully aware of it. When my phone rings, only the first few seconds play, then the phone goes silent. This happens regardless of the "Attention Aware Features" being enabled or disabled in the "Settings > Face ID & Passcode" section.

Going to "Settings > Sounds & Haptics", under Ringer and Alerts, moving the slider causes the ringtone to start playing, but stops after about 1.5 seconds. Change with buttons makes no difference. Under Sounds and Vibration Patterns, I select Ringtone. I have made some custom ringtones in addition to the built in ones that iOS provides. No matter which one I choose. the ringtone will play in its entirety. However, when I go back to "Sounds and Haptics", and repeat the aforementioned step, the same cutoff occurs.

Interestingly, it is only the ringtone portion that is affected. Other notification sounds such as messaging, email, etc work just fine.

Running iOS 11.4. I have rebooted my iPhone, and it does not make a difference. Switching from silent mode to normal mode does not make a difference either. Can someone help me please?

iPhone X, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2018 7:55 PM

Only just became aware that my iPhone X is doing the same thing since I upgraded to iOS 11.4. Ringtone isn’t very quiet but cuts off after around 1 second; had many missed calls already in the last couple days.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 28, 2018 9:53 AM in response to N-SRQ

After talking with Apple support the only solution was a General Reset

Settings/General/Reset/Reset_All_Settings

Of course I had to go back afterwards to renter my notification preferences etc. Also had to re-link my other devices back to my iPhone. Seems to have been a bug that was induced by the upgrade to 11.4...Who knows? But this is the fix.

Ringtone cutting off after a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.