Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unidentified icon on menu bar

I have an unidentified icon on my menu bar. It does not exist in my applications. It's possible it's left over from something previously downloaded and deleted but I'm not sure. Every now and then it opens to a blank box. And if I click on it, a blank box shows up.

Can anyone tell me what this icon is and how I can get rid of it?

Here is a picture of it:

User uploaded file

And this is what it looks like when you click on it:

User uploaded file

Thank you for your help!

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 9:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 7:04 AM

It is not an Apple-based icon, so it is a remnant of something you installed previously. You can remove it from the menubar by pressing the command key, clicking on the icon, and dragging it out onto your Desktop.

You can run Etrecheck to potentially reveal what it was that you installed that is associated with this icon, and it may jog your memory. Then, you visit that developer's site, and see if there are formal removal steps to clean the entire application off your system. And it might not hurt to run the free version of Malwarebytes to see if you have any malware installed too.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2018 7:04 AM in response to shif_59

It is not an Apple-based icon, so it is a remnant of something you installed previously. You can remove it from the menubar by pressing the command key, clicking on the icon, and dragging it out onto your Desktop.

You can run Etrecheck to potentially reveal what it was that you installed that is associated with this icon, and it may jog your memory. Then, you visit that developer's site, and see if there are formal removal steps to clean the entire application off your system. And it might not hurt to run the free version of Malwarebytes to see if you have any malware installed too.

unidentified icon on menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.