Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store app won’t update

I have the little red notification on my App Store and it’s because the actual App Store needs to update. But whenever I try to it just spins for a second then doesnt actually update. I’ve tried logging out of my Apple ID and then turning the phone on and off and that doesn’t work. Not sure what else to do. It’s a brand new phone.

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 8:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 11:37 AM

That is not the same thing as the App Store. You can find the Apple Store app on your device and delete it by lightly touching the icon until they all start to wiggle. Then click on the "X" in the upper left-hand corner to delete it.

Best,

GB

99 replies

Jun 27, 2018 7:18 PM in response to gail from maine

Sorry so late to the party on this one, but I just figured out the fix about 10 minutes ago quite by accident. The Apple Store App has the pending update indicator and quickly stops and remains in a pending state when you try to update it from within the App Store.

The solution is to open the Apple Store App and it will tell you "The Apple Store App has been updated" but it also presents you with another update button. Press that button to continue and the update will then complete.

Once you're done with that process, the pending update indicator for the Apple Store App within the App Store will no longer appear.

Hope this helps!!

Oct 7, 2018 6:21 AM in response to nkh

What shows in the Updates tab in the App Store app ? It will not be showing an update to the App Store app itself, that isn't possible.

I'm assuming, as it has been for the rest of the people on this thread, that it's showing an update for the Apple Store app i.e. :

User uploaded file

Instead of incorrectly trying to delete the App Store app try deleting the correct app (the one that's showing in the Updates tab), which is probably the Apple Store app as I've saying to do, and then redownload it from the App Store.

Jun 4, 2018 8:57 PM in response to ashleighfromhalifax

The App Store app wouldn't need an update. That would all be controlled via the iOS.

When you go to the App Store app, and click on Updates, you don't see anything listed? Are you updated to the most current iOS (11.4)?

Also, completely close the App Store app by double-clicking the Home key and then swipe up on the App Store thumbnail to completely close it.

You can also try resetting your device:

• On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Best,

GB

Jul 27, 2018 10:39 PM in response to Strebby

Cheers Strebby - I've done this following your instructions but mine still has the red 1 in the corner (as in 1 update indication) and is still under pending! I went to the next screen and pressed that Update button but no luck.

It's doing my head in now lol 😕 Two day old iPhone X I've tried turning phone off and on again but it's still same.

Jul 27, 2018 10:54 PM in response to janfromtelford

janfromtelford wrote:

Cheers Strebby - I've done this following your instructions but mine still has the red 1 in the corner (as in 1 update indication) and is still under pending! I went to the next screen and pressed that Update button but no luck.

It's doing my head in now lol 😕 Two day old iPhone X I've tried turning phone off and on again but it's still same.

Why don't you just delete the app altogether and then re-download it if you feel you really need it?

Best,

GB

Jul 27, 2018 11:10 PM in response to janfromtelford

Gail is referring to deleting the app that has the update available for it, not deleting the actual App Store app where you download apps and updates. If the update isn't downloading via the Updates tab in the App Store app, and if you've tried rebooting the phone and are on wifi), have you tried deleting that app (assuming that there is no important content in it) and redownloading it from the store ?

Jul 27, 2018 11:33 PM in response to janfromtelford

janfromtelford wrote:

Hi Gail because if you read the full discussion on this it can't be deleted. Someone further up the thread posted a screenshot - take a look and you'll see what I mean.

If you had carefully read the full discussion, you will see that the person that posted the screenshot was looking at the wrong app altogether. The App Store and the Apple Store are two entirely different apps, and the Apple Store app can be deleted, as is indicated in Solved post marked by the same poster who posted the screenshot.

Best,

GB

Sep 22, 2018 1:01 AM in response to Labearforyou

See Gail’s post (thanks Gail). Realising that the AppStore (where you usually update from) is not the same thing as the Apple Store app is the key! I had the same issue with the Clips app. Find the respecticons on your desktop and open from there. You will be prompted to update and once done the update alerts will disappear from the AppStore icon!

App Store app won’t update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.