Announcement: The Apple TV app is here

The new Apple TV app is available on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV 4K, and Apple TV HD. If you have a question or knowledge to share with the community, we want to hear from you.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Metal-capable graphics cards for my Mac0Pro5,1

Hi All,

I am looking for a Metal-capable graphics card upgrade for my Mac Pro (Mid 2010) MacPro5,1 so I can upgrade it to Mojave when it is released. Any Suggestions?

Model Name:Mac Pro
Model Identifier:MacPro5,1
Processor Name:Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed:2.4 GHz

ATI Radeon HD 5770

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

I landed up buying "Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition" for Apple Mac Pro 2009-2012 Models.

Mfr P/N: 100352MAC

I am now Metal compatible !!!!

User uploaded file

Posted on

Question marked as Helpful

Jun 13, 2018 7:19 AM in response to iunix In response to iunix

The requirements are preliminary, and that MacOS has not been publicly released. It may be a mistake to invest money now for requirements that could change before its official release.

On macOS, Metal supports Intel HD and Iris Graphics from the HD 4000 series or newer, AMD GCN-based GPUs, and Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs or newer.

AMD links:

GCN is fabricated in 28 nm and 14 nm graphics chips, available on selected models in the

Radeon HD 7000,

HD 8000,

400and

500 series

of AMD Radeon graphics cards. GCN is also used in the graphics portion of

AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APU), such as in the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One APUs.

NVIDIA links:

Kepler was Nvidia's first microarchitecture to focus on energy efficiency. Most

GeForce 600 series,

most GeForce 700 series, and

some GeForce 800M series GPUs were based on Kepler, all manufactured in 28 nm. Kepler also found use in the

GK20A,

the GPU component of the Tegra K1SoC, as well as in the

Quadro Kxxx series, the

Quadro NVS 510, and

Nvidia Tesla computing modules.

Kepler was followed by the Maxwellmicroarchitecture and used alongside Maxwell in the

GeForce 700 series and

GeForce 800M series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

and links therein to other wikipedia pages

Jun 27, 2018 6:37 PM in response to Sendil Nathan In response to Sendil Nathan

After much digging, there are only two official cards for a 5,1 Mac Pro that support Metal. That is, cards that were designed for these Macs. Not flashed PC cards.

AMD Sapphire HD 9750 for Mac

EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Mac Editition

The GeForce is much easier to find, and roughly half the price the Sapphire goes for.

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Jun 13, 2018 7:19 AM in response to iunix In response to iunix

The requirements are preliminary, and that MacOS has not been publicly released. It may be a mistake to invest money now for requirements that could change before its official release.

On macOS, Metal supports Intel HD and Iris Graphics from the HD 4000 series or newer, AMD GCN-based GPUs, and Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs or newer.

AMD links:

GCN is fabricated in 28 nm and 14 nm graphics chips, available on selected models in the

Radeon HD 7000,

HD 8000,

400and

500 series

of AMD Radeon graphics cards. GCN is also used in the graphics portion of

AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APU), such as in the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One APUs.

NVIDIA links:

Kepler was Nvidia's first microarchitecture to focus on energy efficiency. Most

GeForce 600 series,

most GeForce 700 series, and

some GeForce 800M series GPUs were based on Kepler, all manufactured in 28 nm. Kepler also found use in the

GK20A,

the GPU component of the Tegra K1SoC, as well as in the

Quadro Kxxx series, the

Quadro NVS 510, and

Nvidia Tesla computing modules.

Kepler was followed by the Maxwellmicroarchitecture and used alongside Maxwell in the

GeForce 700 series and

GeForce 800M series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_(API)

and links therein to other wikipedia pages

Jun 13, 2018 7:19 AM

Reply Helpful (2)

Jun 21, 2018 5:45 AM in response to iunix In response to iunix

Now I'm a bit confused. The Sapphire HD 7950 Mac Edition card is an old card that was released in 2013. It has long been discontinued. The Metal API for MacOS wasn't introduced for macOS until June 2017. After the 7950 had been discontinued. Did AMD implement Metal compatibility 4-5 years before Apple released it for the macOS?

This is a very important question for me. I was looking for a 7950 card (for a realistic price), but stopped looking when I learned that Mojave will require Metal compatibility. I don't expect this requirement to change.

A clarification would be greatly appreciated. Is the 7950 ME card really Metal compliant?

Jun 21, 2018 5:45 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 21, 2018 5:56 AM in response to Svenisak In response to Svenisak

The 5770 already supports Metal. As such, it should also support Metal 2. Right now, 2012 Macs are the oldest listed as compatible with Mojave.

I did a search for 2010 Mac Pro and Mojave. 🙂 Here's are a few results, all mentioning the main specific line:

Mac Pro (late 2013 or newer, or mid 2010 and mid 2012 models with Metal capable GPU)

Here are the Macs that will work with MacOS Mojave - CNET

macOS Mojave will drop support for some older Macs released before 2012

http://osxdaily.com/2018/06/05/macos-mojave-compatible-macs-list/

Obviously, none of these are official Apple sites or statement, but they all seem indicate as long as the video card in Macs a bit older than the 2012 cutoff supports Metal, it should work. That means the AMD 5770 in my 2010 Mac Pro should allow Mojave to run.

From another site, this statement supposedly from the recent developer's conference:

Apple notes, however, that support for 2010 and 2012 Mac Pro models won’t be available right off the bat – instead that support will come “in an upcoming beta.”

So, we can't test to verify Mojave will run on a 5,1 Mac Pro until the public beta. And as mentioned by Grant, this is still preliminary and could change.

Jun 21, 2018 5:56 AM

Reply Helpful (1)

Jun 21, 2018 6:35 AM in response to Svenisak In response to Svenisak

According to the other post:

This card although older supports AMD GCN:

Sapphire RADEON HD 7950 Specs - CNET

So I am truly hoping that I didn't make an expensive mistake and that now my MacPro will be Metal/Mojave compatible....

Jun 21, 2018 6:35 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 21, 2018 6:43 AM in response to Kurt Lang In response to Kurt Lang

The 5770 is not showing as Metal comparable via the API or other tools

Kurt Lang wrote:

The 5770 already supports Metal. As such, it should also support Metal 2. Right now, 2012 Macs are the oldest listed as compatible with Mojave.

Jun 21, 2018 6:43 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 21, 2018 7:03 AM in response to iunix In response to iunix

The 5770 is not showing as Metal comparable via the API or other tools.

Well, now I'm confused. I looked around last week for information on this, and a couple of sites said the 5770 was Metal 1 compatible, and as such, should support Metal 2.

But, now I'm trying to find that info again and all I can come up with is site after site saying the 5770 does not support Metal.

Jun 21, 2018 7:03 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 22, 2018 2:35 AM in response to iunix In response to iunix

With all due respect. I'm interested in the 7950, not the 5770, which is an even older card. iunix's screen-shot seems to indicate that the 7950 is Metal compatible. Can anyone confirm this?

Otherwise, are there any newer Mac compatible graphics cards out there. And I mean truly Mac compatible, not just flashed!

Jun 22, 2018 2:35 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 22, 2018 5:42 AM in response to Svenisak In response to Svenisak

form the many wikipedia articles cited above inside the main AMD cite above, this one describes the 7000 series, and affirms that the 7950 is a member of the Graphics Core Next family:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

Jun 22, 2018 5:42 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 22, 2018 7:11 AM in response to iunix In response to iunix

Two pages of tiny unreadable text tangential to the issue at hand does not improve my understanding of this issue.

Could you please call out EXACTLY what is important there, and cite where the information came from, so that Users of all ability levels can get some understanding?

Thanks!

Jun 22, 2018 7:11 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 22, 2018 7:27 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder In response to Grant Bennet-Alder

A change to the forums some months back has made embedded images almost impossible to view. When clicked on, you get a scaled down, soft, pixelated view instead of the actual image 1:1. The larger the placed image, the worse the proxy view is. To get around that, drag the image to the desktop and view it in Preview, or other raster image app.

The main point of the first image is the results of an AMD 7950 from the benchmark app, GFXBench Metal. It shows the various results of running Metal APIs on the card, proving it does support Metal while installed in a 5,1 mid 2010 Mac Pro.

I just picked up a 7950 yesterday from eBay. I think they're going to get scarce, quick!

Jun 22, 2018 7:27 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 22, 2018 7:24 AM in response to Kurt Lang In response to Kurt Lang

proving it does support Metal while installed in a 5,1 mid 2010 Mac Pro.

thanks, THAT is the essence of the information I was looking for.

next most important is a summary of the information with a little context, maybe a screen shot of PART of that testing.

then a link to the fundamental source to do more research, if needed.

Jun 22, 2018 7:24 AM

Reply Helpful

Jun 22, 2018 7:37 AM in response to iunix In response to iunix

Thanks!

That's the level of summary information I needed at this stage.

When it gets nearer to release, and they nail down the EXACT requirements, and finally decide when/whether/which they are going to support certain older graphics cards (as has been rumored) I can come back and look at the underlying data for more information.

Jun 22, 2018 7:37 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: iunix

Question: Metal-capable graphics cards for my Mac0Pro5,1