Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I export 360 degree video as 180 video?

I've been using FCP for a while now but have just started getting into 360 video. I have an Insta360 ONE camera and mainly shoot mountain bike video. My goal is not to produce a 360 degree video, but to be able to choose the angle of the camera in each clip and export a normal video and not a 360 one. I realize this is not a simple "click the check box" kind of question but all the research I'm getting back is how to edit and create true 360 video. That's not what I'm looking for. Is there some kind of manual or site I can get a link to for learning this?

Thank you

Posted on Jun 8, 2018 5:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 7:34 AM

I have the Insta360 One camera and edit footage shot with it in FCP X. In order to make a non-360 video, just create an HD project (1920 X 1080) in FCP X before placing any Insta360 One footage on the timeline. then when you bring the footage into FCP X's timeline, you will be able to set keyframes that allow you to pick the viewing angle that you wish. FCP X will create very smooth motion between these key frames. Some excellent training in 360 video editing in FCP X can be found at rippletraining.com.

Tom

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2018 7:34 AM in response to Gene_Arnold

I have the Insta360 One camera and edit footage shot with it in FCP X. In order to make a non-360 video, just create an HD project (1920 X 1080) in FCP X before placing any Insta360 One footage on the timeline. then when you bring the footage into FCP X's timeline, you will be able to set keyframes that allow you to pick the viewing angle that you wish. FCP X will create very smooth motion between these key frames. Some excellent training in 360 video editing in FCP X can be found at rippletraining.com.

Tom

Jun 10, 2018 8:52 AM in response to Gene_Arnold

Gene_Arnold wrote:

… I'd like to be able to pause a frame and then circle around the location then pick back up again. Kind of like a Matrix move ;-)

… not bullet-time (where the cams node is not in the camera), but a sort-of:

User uploaded file

create a HDproject

apply 360° material

set a Hold/shift-H (no Freeze, a freeze loses the Orientation)

User uploaded file

… and within that hold range set some keyframes in the clips Orientation tab in the Inspector.

Again: a bit diff. than bullet-time, because the cam rotates in its 'inside' own axis, not around an 'outside' anchor point (… but that does the Insta's own 'bullet-time' neither)

Jun 10, 2018 8:16 AM in response to Gene_Arnold

Using the bullet mode with the Insta360 One may be more what you are looking for. However, that mode is really designed for a 360 movie so it may not be what you want. In an HD timeline, you can certainly grab any still from that you wish, hold it for as long as you like, and surround it with different angles using keyframes to specify the view that you want. Incidentally, just to be clear, I have no affiliation whatsoever with Ripple Training. I have just been a satisfied customer of many of their FCP X and Motion Training tutorials.

How do I export 360 degree video as 180 video?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.