Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HUGE Recovery HD partition

Hi,

I hope you guys can help.

I used to have a windows partition that I have manually erased, not sure if that helps with the issue here however.

i see a large “Recovery HD” that’s about 80GB and I’m trying to reclaim that space. I have time machine backups and I’ve restored an extremely old one, and downgraded to Mountain Lion while doing so, yet as you can see, I still have the recovery HD showing. I had high sierra before the restore and when I noticed this problem.

User uploaded file

Posted on Jun 12, 2018 1:28 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Jun 12, 2018 4:52 PM in response to Loner T

I’ve already tried that step of restoring a time machine backup. My OS was on Sierra yesterday with the problem, I’ve time machined my system to resolve the problem but I’m currently where we are, with the 80GB of space.

So are you saying I should restore my time machine again? I’d be doing so in a loop, but if I should please double confirm.

Jun 13, 2018 5:20 AM in response to Zpaul

Zpaul wrote:

Since my last reply I’ve been fooling around with it, basically disks03 has now disappeared but the space is still there... to summarize. What I did was wiped it using

diskutil eraseVolume JHFS+ Blank disk0s3

Bootcamp has been of no help. This is so stressful 😩

This should be

diskutil eraseDisk jhfs+ BLANK disk0

Just erasing disk0s3 does not clean up your whole disk correctly. 😉

HUGE Recovery HD partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.