Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad frozen after update 11.4, unable to update or restore

My iPad air is stuck with the connect to iTunes screen after update. When Updating on iTunes, I continually get the same error message when updating after the iPad goes to Apple Logo and the updating bar comes up. The iPad "iPad" could not be restored . An Unknown error occurred (9). Tried all the fixes listed for error 9 and nothing works. The system report on my iMac lists the Apple mobile device (Recovery Mode). Was working fine before the update.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 13, 2018 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2018 12:36 PM

Hey!

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

That should help.

best of luck.

-Brynn

5 replies

Jun 22, 2018 4:41 AM in response to Demo

Still not updating, tried all fixes on this forum and various sites. Will be going into an Apple store to see if I can sort the problem out. Very disappointing that the iPad was working fine until I plugged it into power and it commenced it's update. I guess it doesn't always just work like Tim Cook says! Just to clarify the issue, iTunes detects the iPad and says it needs to update or restore. iTunes on the iMac verifies and downloads the update. Then the apple log comes up on the screen and the long loading line underneath. iTunes says verifying update with iTunes, and then says waiting reply from iPad. Then iTunes stops and I get the unknown error 9 message.

Jul 21, 2018 9:41 PM in response to rhen8541

I am having precisely the same issues! My iPad did an auto update to iOS11.4 last night and now my iPad is frozen on the iTunes screen with the plug in feature! This is my second iPad to have this happen after an iOS update! THe first one crashed my system and I had to buy a new iPad.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is how Apple makes money.

ipad frozen after update 11.4, unable to update or restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.