Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

step by step midi plugin please

been through the net and couldn't figure it out guys

I have imac with Logic Pro x

and I have Yamaha e453

now I plug it through the square usb {the output in the keyboard}
now when I record from the keyboard first of all I hear it through the keyboard speakers

and not from the Mac

secondly after I record and unplug the keyboard I can't listen to the track through the Mac no matter what settings I try to change it only allow me hear if I plugin the keyboard again and through its speakers

need to say that If I plug the keyboard and use it not with external midi but with software inst it works fine and I can control the sounds and I hear everything through the mac

but I want to use the keyboard features which I like to record into logic

THANKS!

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 14, 2018 1:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 3:37 AM

According to Yamaha, your particular keyboard does have capability to transmit audio via USB, but I think it may just be for playing audio files into your keyboard, not for recording out of your keyboard. You'll need to check your manual.

To capture audio with my non-USB Casio, I use an audio cable from the headphones output jack to the audio input in my audio interface. In Logic I create an audio track and select the appropriate input. I can then record the audio of the sound patch that is built into my keyboard and it will play back through my Mac even if the keyboard is turned off. (If all else fails, you could do the same, as I mentioned earlier. Run an audio cable from your keyboard's Phones/Output jack to your interface.)

Of course, that is for recording audio from your keyboard. You can still record MIDI via a software instrument track with a stereo External Instrument plugin inserted.

Here are a couple of things you may find useful:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/1094839/computer_en_rm_m0.p df

https://www.musicrepo.com/recording-a-keyboard-on-computer/

Hope this helps.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2018 3:37 AM in response to LogicOwl

According to Yamaha, your particular keyboard does have capability to transmit audio via USB, but I think it may just be for playing audio files into your keyboard, not for recording out of your keyboard. You'll need to check your manual.

To capture audio with my non-USB Casio, I use an audio cable from the headphones output jack to the audio input in my audio interface. In Logic I create an audio track and select the appropriate input. I can then record the audio of the sound patch that is built into my keyboard and it will play back through my Mac even if the keyboard is turned off. (If all else fails, you could do the same, as I mentioned earlier. Run an audio cable from your keyboard's Phones/Output jack to your interface.)

Of course, that is for recording audio from your keyboard. You can still record MIDI via a software instrument track with a stereo External Instrument plugin inserted.

Here are a couple of things you may find useful:

https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/1094839/computer_en_rm_m0.p df

https://www.musicrepo.com/recording-a-keyboard-on-computer/

Hope this helps.

Jun 14, 2018 11:34 PM in response to LogicOwl

What Guitarist said. I'd like to add that there's a wonderful plugin called External Instrument that you can use on a Software Instrument track (see screenshot). Here's how I'd set it up: MIDI Destination (choose your Yamaha keyboard), Input (choose the Input on your Mac or audio interface where you connect Yamaha's Audio output). The beauty of this External Instrument plugin is that you can treat your keyboard's output in the same way as a software instrument (i.e. apply audio effect plugins, etc.) You probably would also like to set up an audio track to record what's coming from Yamaha, too. Just be careful and mute or disable External Instrument when actually recording MIDI parts into Logic, to avoid MIDI feedback loops. Cheers!

User uploaded file

Jun 14, 2018 8:18 AM in response to LogicOwl

Am I understanding correctly that you want to record the sounds that are built into your keyboard?

It sounds like you have your keyboard properly connected via USB cable and have been able to record MIDI data from your keyboard, using it as a software instrument. However, MIDI is data only and is used to trigger sounds in a software instrument. It does not contain any audio.

If you want to record your keyboard's built-in sounds you need to connect the keyboard with a cable running from your Phones/Output jack into your audio interface or directly into your iMac.

Jun 14, 2018 8:24 AM in response to Guitartist

thanks for the answer

on my keboard i have this cube usb normal usb and audio jack

I meant that I can record the keyboard as external midi but I can't hear it from the Mac only from the keyboard speakers even if I unplug it and just want to listen to the track on logic

figuring it maybe only sends midi data still can't understand why logic can't read it and sound it through the Mac speakers

for me to use it how you say I need to usb to usb it to my imac

meaning I need to use 2 cables for connecting my keyboard from both input and output into 2 USB ports inside the iMac for it to work like i want it to work?

step by step midi plugin please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.