Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes confuses tag "work" with "grouping"

If you edit the "work" field inside iTunes, then the input is saved in the "grouping" tag in the meta data of the mp3.

But if you edit the "grouping" field inside iTunes, then this input is not saved at all in the meta data.

What is going wrong?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 1:03 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 17, 2018 7:55 AM in response to Harmoniker

Hi Harmoniker,

This is a confusing situation, and I too would welcome any help in understanding what's going on. Here is a thread from a while ago devoted to changes in how iTunes uses the Work and Grouping tags:

Empty grouping tag for some but not all MP3 files

And I found this document out on the web, though it dates from iTunes v.12.5:

https://2manyrobots.com/YateResources/InAppHelp/English.lproj/pgs/iTunesGrouping .html

I use the Grouping field extensively. It seems (in v.12.7.5) that Grouping tag data is being written somewhere, because when I test by deleting a file from my library and then importing it again, all my eccentric tagging is still in place. But reports from users like yourself make me nervous.

Jun 17, 2018 8:03 AM in response to Harmoniker

When Apple first introduced the Work and Movement features into iTunes they chose to reuse the field used from Grouping to hold the Work value, and started using a new field to hold Grouping. See this post for an AppleScript that can exchange the values when they are the wrong way around for you: Re: Re: Not playing classical music movements in order.

Note that iOS devices may not handle tracks properly when Work is filled in but Movement isn't.

tt2

iTunes confuses tag "work" with "grouping"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.